• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jerry Can Strap

3rdmdqm

Am I the only one that can't figure out how to attach the Jerry Can strap? I have seen some unbolt the can bracket bottom plate and run a single stap underneath. The one I got was a two piece. One of the pieces was already sewn in a loop but the only way to secure it to the slot/hole would be to run a dowel or something trough it wider than the slot to keep it from pulling through. I cut the stitching, fed it through and then riveted it in place. I wound up attaching the strap using 1/8" diameter aluminum rivets with 1/8" backing plates. We'll see how long they last. I then covered the ends with super glue to prevent fraying. Is there an easier way I missed?

Attachments

Last edited:

emr

it goes under the holder and bolted down, and yes u are the only one... :) , and up the back side and over the can, that way it does not get lost or stolen, they work fine with the strap just under the can too, now put it thru the holes of course...

3rdmdqm

That would be for a one piece correct? The two piece one I have would not be long enough to do that. I'm guessing I was sent the wrong strap.

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used all combinations:

1. a one piece strap wrapped through the bracket and under it, bolted in place

2. a two piece strap, each end attached to the bracket

3. a one piece strap, double looped through the bracket holes but NOT underneath the bracket

I like option 3 better, since no rivets are required but you don't have to unbolt the stupid bracket either.

Lex_Ordo

Last year I was able to purchase and sell sets of USGI factory ordered two single piece straps, on ebay that not only go vertical under the bracket and over the top of the can, but also around the waist, and secure the can horizontally too.

I have since sold out.

The straps must go under the bracket and over the top of the can (either under the handle or webbed through it) or they will bounce out of the tray and fall off the vehicle. I tested this out last summer.
Unless you have the two piece straps that are looped and sewn on either end, the single long straps are way easier to order and replace when they fail.

You can see the can in this pic.

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lockable metal straps are great, except they don't work for the plastic cans.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Thank you for this thread. I was wondering how to strap in my Jerry can too,
now since I read this I unbolted my bracket and put the strap underneath.

So now since I did that, my Jerry can is much more secure, and does not move
around as much in the bracket, and now someone cannot steal the strap. LOL

gungearz

I went to menards and picked up some 1" load baring straps for $4. Threaded it up under the front slot and thru the back slot and just put it thru the slip lock. Both straps are on the top of the Jerry can. Its not sitting on the strap. So the weight can wear the strap to break. Been holding my full Jerry can for over 1500 miles and never had a problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks