• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jump start 931a2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stahl1

I made a rookie move and left my power switch on. How do I jump start? Charge battery's? I believe there are four battery's. Thanks for the help in advance.

Please keep the B S to a min.

61sleepercab

Been there done that . Your batteries are under the passenger seat . Four 12 volts, 2 12v in series = 24 volts. You have three real choices to get going.

Slave cable and another military vehicle to jump from.

A 24 volt big truck battery charger hooked up to all batteries

Separate two batteries from the other batteries and the truck wiring. Use a 12 volt battery charger the bigger the better over night. Then charge the other two remaining batteries the same way. Reconnect and have at it. Little 1to5 amp battery chargers do not have enough umpth to charge dead batteries that well.

Tip for the day, when you dismount from the truck always look up and check switches are both down before you shut door.

Hope you do not get roasted from the grey beards too much. Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can use a pair of car jump paks like the ones tow truck drivers carry. Using the pair of batteries closest to the door is easiest. Clip a jump pak onto each of the 2 batteries positive and negatives. Start truck. It works great on the 8.3 not always on the nhc250.

Gunzy

They are NOT 6 volt batteries. They are 4 12 volt batteries. You have 2 batteries wired in parallel X2 then the 2 sets are wired in series. I did the same thing. I had one Toyota P/U cabled to one set and a Toyota 4runner cabled to the other set, revved both trucks for about 5 minutes and my M923 started. I then went for a good drive and have been OK since. This may not be the prefered method but it works in a pinch. Otherwise you can use a 12 volt battery charger and charge the batteries in parallel sets. or one at a time. I'm sure a bunch of other guys here will chime in and make more suggestions for charging.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been there, done that more than once :-(

I charged the 4 bats individually as that is all I had.

I did decide that my fix is to install an idiot light for the idiot driver :) using the blank hole in the warning light panel and running a y off the power switch to the light. I am using a regular light like the others on the panel with Green for go. Now I will have a visual that power is "on".

Will post a pic when I complete my mod.

M925

Someone on here told me you could use two jump boxes wired in series. I don't know if it works.

Slow charging is the best...If they are too low jumping the it could fry the batteries.

Sephirothq

You might be best off disconnecting all the batteries and using slow chargers, charge them independantly of each other. One bad battery can kill 3 good ones.

Carlo

Bottom line. You need to find another 24 volt truck to jump it or separate all the 12 volt batteries and charge one at a time or buy ( not a bad idea having one) 24 volt battery charger.
Unless your battery savvy I would not recommend separating the batteries. One wrong move with the wrench and you will see some sparks. Add this to a little battery gas and POW!

Sephirothq

If you disconnect the negatives first and then the positves you will be ok. IT will allow the batteries to charge evenly if separted. I didn't spell out how to do the job, I thought it was common sense.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If by BS, you meant misinformation, then would you like me to delete this thread now?

You obviously did not search, as we just covered this a day or two ago.

What is your main priority, save your batteries or just get the truck running immediately?

Sorry for the interruption, Let the BS continue...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have got to chime in here. I am not attempting to beat you up, I just have some questions.

Here is the problem. You have had this truck for a short while. First you said you thought you had a 5ton and you didn't know how to get insurance. Then you didn't know what CTIS was (understandable but is covered in the manuals).

Now you don't know how to charge the batteries but you "think" there are four.

Have you attempted to read the tech manuals? Do you have the basic understanding of the operation of your truck? This is not a toy and without attempting to understand the truck, you may injury yourself or someone else.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
GIVE the guy a break, at least he DID NOT ask "HELP the truck is running, How do I shut it off", that must have been last weeks question, Don't you know that there is NEVER a reason to read the -10 (OPERATORS MANURAL), these trucks are go and play, almose everybody knows that, and besides if the -10 is not a text (160 characters or less) it is to much to read.

Last edited:

Gunzy

You guys really need to play nice. Stahl1 started the thread asking a legitimate question. He never said they were 6 volt batteries, that was in post #2 by 61sleepercab that said 6 volt batteries. Try to be nice, you may chase away any new members.

steelandcanvas

The constructive criticism has nothing to do with 6 volt batteries and everything to do with try to put a damper on the "plug and play" attitude. We've been through this countless times, and some members who have been advised early on about downloading and understanding an Operator's Manual, have turned out to be well-informed tactical truck owners. This is a great forum, and most folks here just want to protect their interest in the hobby by showing the new guys how to get on the right track. Just my 2cents.

Stahl1

Been there done that . Your batteries are under the passenger seat . Four six volts in series = 24 volts. You have three real choices to get going.

Slave cable and another military vehicle to jump from.

A 24 volt big truck battery charger hooked up to all batteries

Separate two batteries from the other batteries and the truck wiring. Use a 12 volt battery charger the bigger the better over night. Then charge the other two remaining batteries the same way. Reconnect and have at it. Little 1to5 amp battery chargers do not have enough umpth to charge dead batteries that well.

Tip for the day, when you dismount from the truck always look up and check switches are both down before you shut door.

Hope you do not get roasted from the grey beards too much. Mark
Thanks for the help, just what i needed.
I look through the owners manual, could not find anything about jump starting.
I am really starting to have 2nd thoughts about this site.
Its hard looking at this site on a cell phone.

The grey beards are more like grey bush.

Once again, A big Thanks!

Stahl1

I have got to chime in here. I am not attempting to beat you up, I just have some questions.

Here is the problem. You have had this truck for a short while. First you said you thought you had a 5ton and you didn't know how to get insurance. Then you didn't know what CTIS was (understandable but is covered in the manuals).

Now you don't know how to charge the batteries but you "think" there are four.

Have you attempted to read the tech manuals? Do you have the basic understanding of the operation of your truck? This is not a toy and without attempting to understand the truck, you may injury yourself or someone else.

Why don't you just run me over. :tank: .

I wont ask for help again. Thanks and good luck!

Gunzy

And they chase away another new member to the MV club. That's to bad, some of you really need to learn how to be more constructive and less destructive. People ask questions to learn, not to be abused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks