• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a M109A4

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So now is probably not the time to be asking these questions, but you've pulled the trigger and there's no turning back.

Go read all these:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ruck-through-government-liquidation-need-help

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?62813-How-to-Buy-from-Government-Liquidation

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?51882-Government-Liquidation-Questions

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?93655-government-liquidation-question

Those are just a few of the threads that detail what buying from GL is like and what is involved.

I would strongly recommend spending some time and reading older threads in the deuce section and honing your search skills. You'll find most everything about the deuce has already been covered in great detail-so searching out the relevant threads is a skill that will serve you well!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As soon as you get your Paid Invoice you can arrange for pickup unless you have to submit an End User Certificate (EUC). If you have to do that you go into "EUC Limbo" until it clears. Once it clears and you arrange pick up you can usually drive it off if it is a runner after you make dead certain that it is safe to drive on public roads. Call the GL rep where you bought it to confirm you can drive off. Make sure you have proof of insurance before you try to drive it off since the MP's can do random checks if they want to. Once you get it home you can apply for the SF-97 which is the title you get from the government. When you get the SF-97 you take that to your local DMV to get your state title.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness from Metairie!

I assume you got one at Ft. Polk this week. They do allow you to drive off and they have slaved (jumped) my truck there. You can get insurance without a title. No way to get a plate unless you have a connection with a car dealer/lot to give you a temp 30 day paper tag. Most of us are ok using the Bill of sale/invoice from GL and proof of insurance. Never had an issue with police as most will not blink an eye at a mv.

Mrs. Maxine and Linda at GL are great people to work with as long as you are polite and not pushy, they have been awesome to me on numerous pick ups.

We have a rally in Pontchatoula put together by Timntrucks in April.

Read the operators tm and the tm's for your deuce so you are very familiar with its operation. For example the military 3 lever light switch is very different than anything on a civilian truck.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend doing the former mv vin stencil instead of a "B" plate. Cheaper in the long run as it is lifetime. Only done in Baton Rouge at the prestige and special plates division. Get SF97 & bill of sale from GL, Stencil vin in yellow or white front & back, take picture to show proof, get State Police inspection. Not too bad to do. You can do it by mail but I would recommend going in person to do it. They are not busy as it is totally separate from regular dmv. Took me 20 min.

Search threads on La as I gave you the nickel tour.

scottmh

Awesome info guys! Thank you very much. The auction stated that two rear tires were flat. Looking st the pictures I would say one is flat and the other low. Should the ctis be able to fill them up or should I bring a air compressor and a generator? I plan on bringing dot3 brake fluid, a basic tool set, motor oil, trans oil, gear oil and coolant along with me

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome info guys! Thank you very much. The auction stated that two rear tires were flat. Looking st the pictures I would say one is flat and the other low. Should the ctis be able to fill them up or should I bring a air compressor and a generator? I plan on bringing dot3 brake fluid, a basic tool set, motor oil, trans oil, gear oil and coolant along with me
Scottmh, I have no idea what your background is, so it is difficult to hit the right tone. You could be a master mechanic or a baker, for all I know. Buying a truck at a government auction has its risks. If you read the threads suggested above, you find out, why. How much do you actually know about the M35A3 trucks? If it starts and runs, you have onboard air. Not sure about the generator and portable compressor need. There is also evidence of tire deterioration on the A3s and also 5tons with CTIS when they sit flat. Members here had bad and downright scary experiences after they re-inflated flat tires that later came apart. Not saying that is what is going to happen, but I would want to know what I should be looking for before I take that beast out through the gates onto a public road.

Your short shopping list of supplies suggests you intend to drive the truck home. Perhaps I am mistaken and you just want to start her up and get her onto a flatbed. That would be a good plan, too.

DOT 3? The military switched to DOT 5 long ago and the two fluids are not compatible. If there is suspicion that the brakes don't work you need to know how to check. fill and bleed a twin-airpack system. There is a separate manual for these. All things you might need to know if you want to do the hard-core get-her-going-and-drive-her-home self-recovery. You currently just assume that nothing (or not much) else is wrong with the truck when you show up there. Hum.

It is a government auction. They may have missed the minor fact that the truck has no transmission (just being nasty here; I'm sure it has happened). What is your plan B in such a case? YOU are responsible for getting the truck off site.

Just saying....definitely read the appropriate manuals and plan this pickup well. You are asking questions ahead of time and that is a plus! Good luck.

Last edited:

scottmh

I am a ASE certified master mechanic and I restore classics and muscle cars for a living. I am pretty familiar with finding hunks of junk and getting them home. But nothing this...huge. I am in the process of reading the TMs and will get my lubes from there. I do plan to drive it the 210 miles home. But if there is anything crazy I will have to arrange for pick up from a shipper

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought to post the GL auction and lot number so the folks here can look over it in the pics and video and maybe experienced deuce a3 eyeballs might see something to help you find something you might not catch. There is a wealth of experience here to assist you.

No guarantee but if the listing said in driving condition you might be ok. I find the listings at Polk are accurate and they usually will start and drive the trucks and report their findings in the description. It escapes me the names but I believe there is a member in Leesville and another in Alex that could be resources for ya.

212sparky

With the history of the flat m109a4 tires. I would bring a spare or 2. Make sure the front steer tires are the best because when one of those let loose it gets nasty fast. Also the max speed of the cat powered trucks is 45 mph. Post up your route and try to get some member phone numbers, so if it hits the fan they may be able come lend a hand.

Remember filters for all, maby 2 sets of fuel filters, all the hand tools you can pack, belts for the alternator and air compressor. If your chase vehicle is a large pick up truck, good tow chain can come in handy to get a stalled truck out of traffic. Don't forget spare light bulbs for the brake and turn signals. If this sounds like a lot it is. One mess up can make it hard on us as a hobby.

We like pictures!!!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can get a glad hand hose with inflater it will help. I was lucky enough to.get one in the goodie box. If I recall correctly the tire needs 10 lbs before the ct is will kick in. I would bring compressor just in case. I brought everything but the kitchen sink to get my A3. All I needed was air up a tire and add a little coolant. Good luck!

scottmh

This is the one I won. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6421248 don't beat me up about the price too much haha. I let my emotions get the best of me. They have a video which shows the truck running and I did not hear anything out of the ordinary but the sound is not the best. I just got a phone call saying I am clear to come get it and I have 10 business days to do so. Any ideas on where I can find a GLAD air connector?

Diecorpse

Looks like a nice truck. It does only look like one flat. Hopefully the spair is good. Definitely want to bring a 3/4 drive set in case you have to change out a tire and at least a six ton bottle jack. I noticed in the pic, it looks like a leak under the front, don't know if it's from that truck or not, but makes me wonder what it is and from where. Hope everything works out. Be safe and good luck!!

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glad hand connectors are available at truck stops and some NAPA/CARQUEST. You need some air hose and an air chuck for the whole setup.

212sparky

You can get universal glad hand connectors at napa our any big truck stop. A few quick disconnects a hose and tire filler your good to go