• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a MTV M1094 LVAD

DSD277

Finally, one colorish

Well, other than wanting a complete spare AO cab ( actually found one), the last major replacement part is on it's way here, a fuel tank!... would have happen a month ago, but the email was in an account I rarely check. :doh:
The truck was also sprayed today to make it "one colorish". It is not by no means finished,but 'prom" acceptable:grin:.
The War Pig kit should be complete within a couple weeks.
:cool:

Attachments

Triple C

DSD277, thank you so much for posting all this. I just finished reading every page and I am impressed! Would it be out of line (or hijacking the thread) to ask, what IS a war pig? From the pictures posted, it appears to be a special operations or airborne piece of equipment. I did see in one pic an ATV sitting next to one which made me thing spec ops. Anyway, if it isn't out of line, I would love to hear from anyone with experience about these trucks.

DSD277

Thank you Triple C. I am always glad when someone has the interest to go through the whole thread, especially one as long as this. I had no idea a year ago what started as an introduction of the truck would turn into a “build” thread. If I had, I would had chosen a different subject title more representative.

The War Pigs were designed as a supply truck for long range operations
A quick, easy read of the War Pig is here:
http://www.americanspecialops.com/vehicles/war-pig/

To be ‘more’ accurate, the War Pigs were built on the M1081(there’s one pic example of one out of a M1093 also), not the M1078.The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] pic on that page is a standard M1081, not a M1078. The difference in the trucks primarily being a removable roof and folding body panels at the waistline for air dropping the trucks from C130s . They’re not just chopped M1078, the cabs are uniquely built for the M1081,M1093 & M1094 .

I am always interested in more in info on the War Pigs. In fact, I just recently received a pic of “MOTHER” , radically different War Pig than the pics bouncing around the web depict, and something similar to an idea I had for a “cab cage” with weapon stations. I might have followed that build closer if I had known about it before.

DSD277

Well, I'm officially depressed and going through withdrawal. :lol:
I find myself searching ebay and the web for parts and kit... then realize that I'm not in need of anything that I've haven't already found or gotten other than a couple vehiclar weapon station parts :sad:
Last night I cut and installed new windshields in the straighten frame, and reinstalled the frame onto the truck today.
Also mounted the spare tire for the first time. Unfortunately, I had to fab my own lifting chain, and guess at the proper length, and how the tire sits in the carrier...it should have been simple but the TMs instructions states the air droppable truck are different and tire doesn't lock into the same location.... of course.. :evil: aua eeerrrr!. So after several tries, and various chain length, I determined the most secure location in the carrier and the best fit of the holddown strap.... again the TM gave exact instruction for webbing placement across the tread...for Michelins, and of course, I have Goodyears:doh:

Oh, btw, I told Danny he couldn't take the truck to the beach, so he took his rug and went home :lol:

Attachments

DSD277

The racks were made with 3/4 x 3/4 material. Just because it is for display, and won't have any weight.
The truck is ready to come home:-D. Insurance is in place and need to clean it's space in the building ( still need to finish fabricating some items). The plan is to bring it up in the morning of the 18th and spend the next few days prepping it for a Memorial Day event on the 25th.

215Dave

Looking good! Keep up the great work. I lived in Sunland, Burbank, and NoHo over the course of 5 yrs. I'd love to take a peek at her next time I'm back in the Valley for a visit

DSD277

This is the pic of "Mother"
My first impression was it looked similar to a Land Rover 101 and a Supacat Jackal.
A little better armed than the other War Pigs. It would be interesting to put a gun ring into the cage.... mmm, maybe something for me to build:)

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a very unique truck I do not know about finding parts for it etc. but it sure looks like it got way to much potential to chop up, you have a truck that I have not seen before and not its a rare collectors item but I would leave it the way it is (original) and get her running and fixed up, that is a really neat piece you have there!
KK

DSD277

Karl
You are obviously new to this thread and hadn’t read any of the history up to the posting of that pic.
Mother is just a ‘different’ War Pig, and more than likely, a non-existent truck anymore.6 War Pigs were returned to BAE to be rebuilt to “as originally manufactured”condition ( aka stock M1081s , or maybe M1093 ), but only 2 were done and the others scrapped because of the costs. I have no knowledge of others.

My post was showing the truck and my “thinking” of fabricating something similar for the FDT.
I didn’tsee anything ‘unusual’ in parts for the fab, even the boxes on the bumper are standard to FMTVs, and the cage easy to mimic.

And for the others that have followed my "madness":)

I hung some HMMWV spare tires off the truck to see what it would look like...next to the FMTV tires, they look like a sub compacts :lol:
And lastly, I made a folding 3rd point shoulder belt bracket for when on the street. I used anti-luce bolts to secure the bracket in the up position, and a quick 'up and pivot' action, it is released. They are quite common on Land Rovers and British trailers. The design is self tightening with rattles. I've used the same bolts on the quarter panel for the hooks.

Attachments

DSD277

A couple new pics of the temporary swing arm assembly for the SAW.
After the first event, I'll get down to revamping it... maybe even think further on the cage/ ring for the cab.:mrgreen:

What can I say... I'm already getting bored... I can't leave well enough alone...:p

OR, I can make a WMIK for one of my Supacats!

Attachments

DSD277

She's home !

Whereas I'd like to say the Flying Dump Truck made a covert run under the cover of darkness to it's new base. ;) The 8 mile trip from Tankland to my shop was undertaken Sunday morning under the intel that the drunks were still sleeping or in jail, the good churchgoers were still gettinrg ready to go, and the police were converging on the Winchell's. :lol:
As this was the first trip of the FDT in at 3 years( or whenever it fell from the sky last :lol: ), all the PM'ing can't do as much as the shakedown trip.
The FMTV gods and the sun were smiling down on me, as the only "problem" was the mirrors' pivot bolts weren't tight enough and kept crepting back, which I push the left side back with a bar I had handy. I only had 1 right turn the whole trip and a few lane changes for left turns the rest of the way, so that worked out fine. The only other item to check is a spot of coolant under the truck after the trip, which will be checked in the next day in prepration for Arcadia' Memerial Day event this Saturday.
The last pic at the museum and the first at it's home.

Cheers and thank you to all that have supported me in the project over the last 10 1/2 months. I am looking forward to submitting kitted pics over the next few weeks, and plan my next "upgarades" for the next year:beer:.
And as always, I would appreciate any new pics of War Pigs

Attachments

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great. Do you plan on putting the cab top back on? (That is, if you are able to straighten it out?)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks