• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a MTV M1094 LVAD

DSD277

Thanks.
I'm in a quandary now. I have located a takeoff AO cab , that is fairy complete, but I "know" that 99% of my electrical and other hardware works... I'd be buying a fairly nice sheetmetal with all the fixtures an unknown.
I know where there is some "decent" upper sheetmetal for a AO cab, but figure that I'd be back to reshaping my cab again to make the roof and side panels fit. 3rd option is to make the cage similar to Mother and make it such that I can make a softtop on it and I can use my door uppers that I got with the new doors.:) .

The 3rd option is where I'm leaning, having already figured out how to blend it altogether and have several options with that. My experiences with my TD Pinzgauer and many of the things I did on it, would work nicely on the FDT... afterall, both were Steyrs and I have refered to it as the JUMP truck ( Jumbo, Uber, Mega, Pinzgauer:D)

DSD277

The Flying Dump Truck made its first public showing today at The Memorial Day event in Arcadia. This was the first time all the kit was mounted on it at the same time.... well, not actually. Some items had been left behind because of a lack of time, and moreso that there was too much stuff !:shock::lol: ..... on a 5 ton truck??:?

all said and done, it was well received...I'm now going to take some time off and rest! Then back to it.

Attachments

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man! that thing looks awesome! great job with the netting and the boxes. Barely looks like the same truck!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work Dave! Guys, the pics he posted do the truck no justice. It turned out beautiful. It looks 10 times better up close and personal.

DSD277

Received an old Stewart Stevenson trades show packet today.:-D
Among the lit was a couple of CDs.
Also data sheets on all the standard cabs. Since most the info is the same for the LVADs, I thought I'd post the sheet for the M1090.

Attachments

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I officially am in love with your truck.... let her know if she ever wants to run away, she always has a home in my driveway...

DSD277

I officially am in love with your truck.... let her know if she ever wants to run away, she always has a home in my driveway...
Well, as women fashion designers put it; accessorize, accessorize, accessorize!... It’ll make any ugly duckling into the belle of the Prom:mrgreen:
Just wait until you see the tiara I have in mind for the old girl.:grin:

And I’m am sure she would never settle for a driveway… she has gotten the taste of the ‘good life’ of sleeping in a garage:-D… in fact, the tonneau and rear set covers haven’t been used in 4 weeks

She has come a long way from being squirted from a plane and rolled over, manhandled by a forklift and left for a year in a North Caralina field to be ravage d by the weather to Sunny California and her cab covered everyday:lol:

And today after swapping a tire out, the CTIS worked for the first time without manually overriding the ECU:naner:

DSD277

Without fan fair, a milestone has come and passed. The Fly Dump Truck has physically been in my possession 1 year on the June 24[SUP]th[/SUP] On that day, I doubt that there wasn’t one person at the museum that wouldn’t have stood before a judge and testified that I should be committed ! (and me among them).:lol::cookoo:

The first pic below is of it being dragged into the museum last year, the 2nd and 3rd were 4 days ago when I was cutting the camo netting in half and test fitting to the bed.
The 5th and 6th pics are examples of using the anti-luce bolts to adapt the mounting hardware for diffrent uses ( the bar being made today). The anti-luce bolts were use to hold the shoulder belt bracket in place while on the road, and fold down for show ( seen in the last pic)

The 4th pic is of 'punking' the windshield cover for shows... what can I say, I got myself "C" hog rings and semi automatic pliers and went to town:D... I may take up a new trade and do body piercings:lol:

And other than one addition in the works, I'm down to little cleanup items and repairs. I've also gone back to getting my "Gentleman Offroader" ( a JKU) ready for weekend trips

Attachments

DSD277

I bought the netting from another SS member, along with other miscellenous things, none of what has been previously shown with the truck.The windshield's camo is made from the netting's repair kit.... I think it has a wardrobe to match Madonna's. :lol:... so much so that some is be reassigned to the JK's kit.:)

The ring and mount that I have coming may serve dual roles for the truck and a WMIK for one of my Supacats :mrgreen:

DSD277

I'm getting ready for the Sierra Madre 4th of July parade, and making some refinements to the FDT's kit and utilizing more of the gear I had. Even without the weapons, it made a striking image.
with the weapons, I think it'll make the first showing look sick.:smile:

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm getting ready for the Sierra Madre 4th of July parade, and making some refinements to the FDT's kit and utilizing more of the gear I had. Even without the weapons, it made a striking image.
with the weapons, I think it'll make the first showing look sick.:smile:
Definitely looking SICK! [thumbzup]:grd::driver:Enjoy the parade! Wished I lived a little closer to Sierra Madre. No parades out in my neck of the woods:roll:

DSD277

Pics from the 4th of July parade in Sierra Madre yesterday:D.
Truck performed flawlessly.

And for those FMTV owners out there;), I used a stick to check the fuel level in the tank and adding 2 jerry cans of fuel (4 1/2 gal in each) , measured 1 3/4" rise for each can. This equals approx .64 gals per 1/4" of rise in the smaller (notched) area of the tank. Not done precisely, but to have a reference to the amount of fuel I had remaining, and know useage. and FYI, I average 6mpg for the 15 miles to and from the parade, idling, and the 2 miles of the parade.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, you need to bring that to the meet next week, in full dress of course!

DSD277

Full kit would be nice, but would need permission from the AmVet post commander.

A couple more pics from the parade
First, from the "mannequin" cam (she's a museum volunteer, and I don't think she moved once during the whole parade :lol:)
the later, the "mannequin" with some 'behind the wheel' time :D

Expressions like that make make all the expense and effort worth it:D

Attachments

DSD277

Does anyone think it is too late to submit a warranty claim to BAE :lol:
As some might remember, my PTO has been on constantly, and my temporary fix has been to unplug the solenoid.
So with the perplexing problem of 'where is power being shorted at" (and no less comfusing to the gods), the hunt was on.
After some bantering, everything led to the VIM (Vehicle Interface Module). Last night I pulled the kickpanel and located the VIM in an awkward location , upsidedown under the PDP:(.
After removing the cover and finding the proper relay, I removed it to be sure I could do it while the engine was running. Once back in its socket and I started the engine, the PTO seemed to work properly.:-D... After cycling the system several times, I was thought the problem was solved... no such luck, before re-assembling everything, I tried it one last time... the problem was back!:???: :evil: After spending several hours going over the schematics, I decided the VIM was bad internally and would look at it today. Again, trying to look at the VIM in its awkward location, I decided to pull it loose and test it hanging by its wires.... once flipped over, I also immediately saw 2 contacts to the plug touching.:shock: Checking the schematic, the pins were the power feed for the relay and the feed to the PTO solenoid. I proceeded to pull the plug and carefully pulled the pin back into place, and re-installed the plug, being sure it didn't push the pin back in again. With the VIM hanging there, I retested and everything is better than new:-D.... it had to be, the pins had to be shorted since the original installation when new.:lol:
The pdf shows the pins and where they had shorted. Unfortunately, I didn't think to taken a pic before.... I was sure it couldn't be that easy...aua
And as with all my other problems.... the FMTV gods were screwing with me again ... a simple fix to a puzzling problem:mrgreen:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks