• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought an M1008 !

Jim Hunter

After almost two years I bought an M1008 :mrgreen:
This is the best in overall condition from the yard that has around 10 of them...
Sadly the army tag says that it has issues with relays and glow plugs:roll:
One red cable goes from the starter to the fuse block.
We move it from the second place to the first one.
There is also some missing items under the dash...
Please take a look in the pics here and also here : http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?96073-M1008-possible-purchase/page3
Also we replace the fuel filter but when we crank the engine we have a serious fuel leak from the fuel filter housing...Seems a round plug is missing ???

As we have zero experience with these vehicles any help it will be greatly appreciated :mrgreen:

Jim

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on the new truck.

I combined your posts so all the pictures will be in the same place.

Now to your questions.

1) Moving the battery cable has no effect. All of the terminals on the buss bar are hooked together.

2) The third picture shows that the holder for the Glow Plug Controller is empty. (large black plastic box with wires) You will need to get a new controller. Antenniaclimber has them are for sale in the classifieds

3) we need a picture of the fuel filter base. The are known to have leaks at the pressure sensor. Many people remove it.

4) the two terminal white plug is for one of the alternators. Post some pictures of the entire engine compartment and we can tell you what is missing.

Looking at the few pictures already I have some questions if the truck has been converted to 12v.

Last edited:

trukhead

You need to determine where you are with the truck. Does it have 2 batteries and 2 alternators? From the looks of the pictures, you are missing the glow plug controller card. It looks to me you moved the red NATO cable connector from one stud on the 24 volt bus to another stud on the bus.

You can operate the glow plugs manually.

If you can provide more information about what voltage your truck is operating on, that information will provide a basis for recommendations.

The 6.2 Diesel will not start worth a hoot without glow plugs.

The front original battery and its location is grounded to the chassis. This battery is the battery that people wire directly to the glow plug solenoid to source 12 volts rather than the 24 volts running through the step down resistor bank behind the engine valley on the top of the transmission tunnel. This modification will save your replacement glow plugs that you will be installing shortly.

lostintexas

If you are having issues with the fuel filter you may want to consider doing a mod and convert to a spin on type of filter. Would solve the issue and IMO is a better solution. You could also convert to a manual glow plug system by adding a push button glow plug. I've got both on mine and neither have given any issue since. You should be able to find many posts on here about doing these mods.

Nice looking truck! Be patient and ask questions. Get familiar with the TMs as most questions can be answered there but never hesitate to ask as there are lots of good guys on here who go out of their way to lend a hand.

Jim Hunter

Thank all for you help guys!

Here is some photos from the engine bay and also from the leaking fuel filter.
As far as I know it is still 24V.
The glow plugs card looks great but they dont ship overseas :(
Also can anyone knows what is plugged in the two pin socket in the fourth pic ?
Also are new lower mounting plastic blocks fom the radiator available ?

Jim

Attachments

86m1028

Forth pic plug, plugs into the alt.
Lower plastic blocks ? Are you asking about the rubber isolators ?
If so, yes they are still available.

MarcusOReallyus

Try LMC truck. They have a lot of stuff that's older. Some folks say their quality is sometimes mediocre, but for a part like that, how bad could it be?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the most part your truck looks complete. I will look over the pictures and make a list of things I see.

The white plug is for the transmission downshift switch. It connects to the switch on the throttle pedal. I found it by looking through the wiring diagrams and matching the wire colors.

E-4 Downshift.jpg

You fuel leak if from the missing pressure switch on the base. You can plug the hole or replace the switch. Many guys just replace the whole unit with a spin on.

Here is a thread I created years ago. While it needs updating, it still helps

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?50551-CUCV-Switches-Diodes-Relays

For general replacement parts LMC is a good source. I do believe they ship international. www.LMCtruck.com. Look for parts for a 1984 K30 pickup.

Last edited:

stampy

Spin on fuel filter unless you are going for authenticity. It will save you on LOTS of headaches and cranking when changing over fuel filters as you can prefill the filter with diesel.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to remember that he in Slovenia. Some parts may not be available.

MichaelB

I know this is a simple response but get a Chevrolet or GMC shop manual for the feul and glow plug issues it shows everything you need for the basic GM components.I keep my dads 85 GMC 1 ton running and always go to the shop manual for electrical stuff as it is old and beat and is cranky.Easy solution for the fuel filter housing is to go get one from a wrecking yard same year range as the truck,not older.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you MichaelB for your post. We have the Military Technical Manuals here on this site for download. They are free. They are much better and more detailed than the factory shop manuals.

I don't know how many wrecking yards there are in Slovenia and I doubt that they have very many US vehicles in them, let alone MVs. He many need to adapt some parts if needed.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay Jim. I reviewed the pictures and have come up with a few things to work on.

1) the fuel filter mounting base is missing the pressure switch. It is not needed. You can plug the hole and get it to work for now. Instructions and pictures are in the above links. Later you may want to install a spin-on filter.

Slovenia8a.jpg

2) GEN2 is hooked up but not working. The exciter plug is unplugged and broken. The red wire has pulled out of the plug. Clean the connections and see if you can reinstall the read wire then reconnect the plug to the alternator. You may end up needing to replace the plug.

Slovenia7a.jpgalt plug.jpg

3) Since you do not have a glow plug controller card, you can install a manual switch. All you need to do is provide a ground connection for the small blue wire on the glow plug relay. Run a wire from the small terminal with the light blue wire, to somewhere inside the cab, connect a momentary switch (normally open) and then connect to a ground.

E-07 glowplugs manual switch.GIFSlovenia6b.jpg

4) Looks like your wiper motor may have some issues. If they do not work an easy test is to eliminate the noise suppressors. Unplug the suppressors and connect the plug A to the connector B.

Slovenia4a.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5) The trucks come from the factory setup with the Glow Plug system to be connected to the 24v side of the truck. This helps in a battlefield environment when jump starting the vehicle. The BIG resistor pack that is laying on the intake manifold allows the system to work.

Many people will remove that resistor pack as it helps avoid cooking the glowplugs. You will need to decide how you want to handle it. You options are reattaching the resistor pack to the wire wall or removing it.

If you decide to remove it, remove the wire from the 24v buss bar and the wire from the top post of the glow plug relay. Make you a jumper wire from 8ga wire and attach it to the 12v diamond shaped buss bar next to the relay and the other end to the glow plug relay.

Slovenia6a.jpg

6) You need to reattach the wires at the 24v buss bar. They are for the GEN2 alternator.

Slovenia2a.jpg

7) Where does the blue wire go? Does it go to the starter? It is not factory.

Slovenia2a.jpg

8 ) Post a picture of your battery cables. If you have a picture with the batteries installed, please post it so we can see if they are hooked up correctly.

9) Have you checked the starter relay under dash? You may want to do the Doghead Relay upgrade.

Last edited:

Jim Hunter

@Warthdog : a BIG THANK YOU :goodjob: for your help
Also thank you all the guys for your help too!

So far the truck needs :

radiator ,
radiator shroud ,
radiator lower mounting rubber blocks
8 glow plugs
turn signal / wipers steering column mounted switch
glow plug resistor
And who knows what else :confused:
But is a very nice looking truck and I hope to have it run shortly !

I will take more pictures and some info the next days...

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks