• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought an M923 and I have several questions

randygk

Funny thing about those 250s... when running properly under load down the highway, the engine sounds like someone is rapidly hammering on a coconut.
What size coconut? Yes, this noise has always concerned me. Had several deuces, GM diesels, worked on boats with diesels, just got a Cummins 6.7 - but the 250 has been different and thought maybe some things were going to let go holding hands any minute.

DocPA

85 M923 A1 NHC 250 water filter

Anybody installed a water/chemical treatment filter on a NHC 250 cummins. If so at what point do you tap into the cooling system??

Anybody else have a noisy 250 at idle? like a fuel knock that clears right up raising the rpm. no miss,runs great.

How about a locking fuel cap for the 85 general 923 ?

I'm planning on relocating this truck from Arizona to the East coast. Has anyone changed the rear wheel bearings over from grease packed to just gear oil ? Any advantage to that ?

Finally anybody got a reliable answer on the MPG of a 923 nhc250 with super singles with maybe a 5,000 lb payload?

Thanks in advance, Doc

162tcat

#1 Parallel to the heater lines is easy or add 2 more valves. Outlet in the water manifold and mid block return.

#2 Adjust the injectors and valves. Search or see stickie at top.

#3 Locking fuel cap is available at any truck place or ebay for around $20. Those military guys just paint it green and double the price.

#4 Been done, search.

#5 6mpg is pretty accurate.

Last edited:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No prob. Everyone is on a budget these days, money saved is a good thing. Especially if the wife is watching the money spent on "truck stuff" ; )
What we need is for a surplus store to register their name as Et Syrplus so it shows up Etsy or something.

DocPA

Noisy NHC 250

Anybody else got a noisy NHC250 at idle? Mine sounds as one guy put it, like theres someone in there with a hammer beating on a coconut. Just a noisy banging sound. Oil sample was good so I'm not overly concerned but I'd like to know if it's just a normal noise for them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks