• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought my First M35A1

aaron92685

Well just got home with my first M35A2. I bought it from a guy here in Elko Nv. I thought I would start a thread because I have some questions. And might as well keep them in one spot. I am going to clean it up paint it and go over everything. Going to make a daily driver out of it. My drive to work is short so fuel wont kill me. It is a 1968 with a winch. Came with a almost new cargo cover for it and it has a hard top. Pictures to come in the morning when it is light.

rrrr

Read the TM's and spend time going through the forum. I'm sure 99% of any questions you'll have are already answered in these two places.

Have fun !

Last edited:

aaron92685

Here are a few pics. The guy gave me two new windows, two sets of racks/troop seats. One set is fiber glass and the other is wood. Then He gave me like three sets of bows. And one set for a M105 trailer. Also He gave me Two new military dry cell battery's, tons of filters, full set of snow chains almost new top for the bed, five spare tires and rims, two snatch blocks and some other recovery stuff and a bunch of small odds and ends.

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Looks good congrats!! And so the addiction begins.. All I can say to a new owner is Brakes Brakes Brakes!! Check them over good, they are single stage so if they go out your F'd..

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the truck, dislike the paint. I have that color on my first Deuce and I cringe when I look at it. 20 cans of 383 green will change it but being where you are maybe 686 tan will work better.

Welcome to the club. Pay the master at arms for your dues. ;-)

aaron92685

I hate the color. As soon as a fix a few things it will get a paint job. If anyone has a good mirror let me know. I need one of the round ones and one square one. Also I need new seat covers. Let hear what you have.

caliber1

Here are a few pics. The guy gave me two new windows, two sets of racks/troop seats. One set is fiber glass and the other is wood. Then He gave me like three sets of bows. And one set for a M105 trailer. Also He gave me Two new military dry cell battery's, tons of filters, full set of snow chains almost new top for the bed, five spare tires and rims, two snatch blocks and some other recovery stuff and a bunch of small odds and ends.
Looks good, nice list of extras too. Wow. And I agree with Deuceswild on the brakes.

aaron92685

Well got the new windshields in. And installed the troop seats. Pulled a few wheels and drums off and I have leaking hub seals. So a brake job and hub seals are in the near future. Might as well do the wheel cylinders while I am there. Fixed the door handles so I can get in to the truck now. Went to pull in all the winch cable and found that the sheer pin was sheered. And the input shaft to the winch Is really hard to turn. And I could never get the lever on the winch to move. I am going to pull the winch out and take it apart. But cant find the TM for the front mount winch. If someone knows what one it is I would love to know.

Attachments

drmerc

Hey there. I'm in Reno, NV and working on buying my first deuce as well
Going to look at one tomorrow

scopionf89

Talk to the guys at russles military veicals about paint www.generationjeep.net. My truck is their strait forest green color and I love it. I got my truck from theis guys. For seat covers go to wall mart they have this stuff in their fabric section that is almost the same kind of fabric as modern duece bed covers. I would then measer your seats and make the covers your self. I would send you picks of the ones I made but I am in Afganistan and can't untill I get back.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the front input shaft on the winch will be hard to turn... somewhat. The reason is there is a band brake attached to that shaft in the front of the winch. it is there so the winch does not unwind if there is tension on the winch cable. Look in the TM for the winch and it will show how to properly adjust it. It may not hurt to pull the cover off and have a look in there to make sure everything looks ok. You never know what condition some of the stuff is in until you look it over. May not be bad to change the winch gear oil out. Mine did not look good when i changed it. Make sure you use a gear lubricant that is approved for worm gears.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the new truck! She looks good, keep us updated on your progress.

I'd love to live around Elko after I retire....

ProudAmerican

Hello - have a very clean 1969 Duce and Half ! I like to turn it back in time - Vietnam ! Is there a Good place to buy the split rims for my Duce and Half and the tires that were made for that time ? Ralph Jones

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks