• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just dropped off.... First MV a M1008

aekhoff

My EUC cleared and I found a transport for $50 more than I would have spent recovering myself and my M1008 is in the driveway....

I am going to turn it into my camper rig. I got a good deal on a truck camper, but it won't fit on my F150 soooo, I bought an 08 to haul it around. I plan to either do a tranny swap or regear/tires to get better highway speed in the future - only after I get it running and drive it around for a couple weeks to be sure I didn't get a giant paperweight.

I ended up buying the truck w/o batteries so it is a dead duck right now, but I am going to push it in a heated shop this weekend and try to start it up. My question is what should I or do I have to do before I turn the key? It is killing me to let it sit, I want to hear it fire up pretty bad!!!

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is already posted I couldn't find this specifically.

Attachments

dave wells

make sure batteries are hooked up right since it is two to make 24v and of course check ur fluids (oil antifreeze tranny fluid front an rear end fluid etc.) when u got to drive check make sure drive shaft aint bent make sure tires are good

aekhoff

Yea, I have a pretty good understanding of the electrical.

I am planning on checking all the fluids...

I am really most wondering if there is anything that isn't as obvious that I probably wouldn't think of.

Josh

I plan to either do a tranny swap or regear/tires to get better highway speed in the future.
If you do change the gears, I bet there would be many people willing to swap ya strait across for a set of 3.73s on pirate4x4. If not, I found there to be good deals on chunks there.

K9Vic

If you do change the gears, I bet there would be many people willing to swap ya strait across for a set of 3.73s on pirate4x4. If not, I found there to be good deals on chunks there.
Make them pay for the swap as or at the very least split it. The 4:56 is a really popular gear for the rock crawlers, so they should really pay for the swap as it is much cheaper then buying new gears w/install.

I have been thinking about doing that with my M1010 so I can drive it on the freeway to use as a camper. Sucks that it is limited to 50-55mph and can not really go to far too fast.

aekhoff

Yea, I definitely know that I have the more in demand gears and hope to find an easy swap at someone else s expense.

My main objective is to optimize fuel economy, and if I could I wouldn't mind keeping stock tire size to just to keep cost down and I can get better mileage out of a stock sized tire if the gearing is right. I really don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg on rubber, so i might go the hmmwv tire route for that reason also...

thanks for the sounding board to bounce ideas off, like I said before - I just gotta get her running first!

TCUCV

I'm in your same situation and I've been asking around about gearing. Everyone I talk to says if I put bigger tires on it then I would gain some top end speed. With the stock tires, she only likes to run about 50-55 max. I'm looking for some 35's so I can hopefully get to 60-65 top end speed.

* Anyone out there, is this a myth or is there some truth behind gaining some top end with bigger tires? Thanks,

By the way congrats on your new CUCV, I'm loving mine so far

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.

Download the manuals for reference. Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendix.

Also checkout the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/20600-faq-thread-cucvs.html stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

Warthog

aekhoff

Potential Speed Calculator

I have been using this site to find out the different potential speeds a different setup would be good for.

Thanks for the link Warthog... I have been reading that and old posts for about 4-5 months, I really need discussion to think things over - Thanks Guys

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you buy your batteries, you will also need a new Glow Plug Relay (GPR). Your's is MIA. Use the Advanced Search to find the details.

NAPA # ST85 is a good choice as are others.

The wiring diagrams are wrong and show the small orange wire hooked to the battery side of the relay. This is incorrect. It needs to be hooked to the Glowplug side along with the two large orange wires.

Attachments

Last edited:

aekhoff

Can I just use the same relay that is used for the Doghead Starter Relay mod and keep a spare around and that way I can replace either that might go out?