• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just picked up my M1078 so I am starting on this new adventure

cjacksoncpa

So I just picked up my running M1078.
Here are this issues so far:
-Cab lift doesn't lift the cab. I can see it starting to lift the cab but doesn't have the pressure or something to lift the cab.
-Tire pressure monitoring system all lights blinking.(maybe part of the same issue with the cab lift because both use the wet tank)
-Temp. light and stop light are on but the gauge is 165 to about 200 then the fan kicks in and lowers the temp to about 175. There is fluid in the lower glass and partial in the upper glass of the coolant overflow tank.
-Missing the turrent cover. Does anyone have a good line on these?
-Front glass cracked.

That's all I have identified so far. Any advice and council would be appreciated. I have been looking at the TM's so I will be starting down that path.
Also I am close to Raleigh, NC so if you know anyone in the community that has any events or get together's please let me know.

Thanks,

Attachments

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Pump is behind cab. Integral reservoir. Check the fluid level. 5 flashing lights from start on the ctis or 5 flashing lights after it does an initial pressure test?

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with your LMTV! You can occasionally find a deal on a turret cover for a couple of hundred bucks or can make a template and make one out of steel or aluminum pretty easily!

coachgeo

If you have not gone there yet....... below is where to go first. The TM's (Technical Manuals) found in the first forum of this bulletin board

the numbering of the LMTV 1078 manuals from 1998 is that manuals are all:

For the LMTV TM 209-2320-272-##:

Where ##: = below

10......... is Operations
xP........... is Parts AND Special Tools
34........ is Maintenance / laymen's terms- General Service and upkeep
20........ is Service/Technical -Repair manuals / for us tractor guys..... Factory Service Manuals

A hint: Look at the data plate on your equipment. Write down the model number and NSN. Look at the cover of each TM. Find the proper model number and NSN. That book is for you. Above should already match unless you got an A1 then they will cross reference somewhat. A1P2 is when it all changes..

Then look in the section of the Parts Manual (..... xP)under Usable on code. Find the usable on code for your equipment and write it down. Whenever looking up parts for your equipment, make sure the Usable on code, (UOC) listed next to the part you are looking up is the same as what you wrote down.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?118919-M1078-TM-s

sjohn116

For the cab lift, it could be the simple fact that the hydraulic control manifold is labeled in a confusing way if you havent yet read the TM's. top nob turned tothe right to cab lift, and then you push in the bottom left plunger to direct the air pressure to the cab tilt. if you are messing with the bottom right plunger, that is for the cab leveling, in which case the cab will raise an inch, and that is it.

glass is available from a SS vendor in philly, and there is one on fleabay right now.

embrace the missing cover and make a plexiglass replacement...SUN ROOF to the MAX!!!

FloridaAKM

Welcome to the board & to the addiction of green iron. By the way, how about a few pictures of your new to you truck. We all love pictures to help figure out what you have purchased.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try raising the cab using the manual pump if it works that way you likely have to replace the seal on the air/hydraulic unit. There have been mulitple threads on here for this issue. Usually if you see oil vapor from the unit while operating the seal needs replaced.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard! The LMTV squad has posted good suggestions for your issues thus far.

Thoughts on the engine temperature issue:
-it's good that the fan operates for you as that can also be a problem
-your temps mentioned seem a bit low for when we normally expect the fan to kick on.
-the coolant system may have air it it...
-this could cause temp reading errors while still allowing the fan to work.

I need to check my coolant when the truck is on level ground (not where I park). Also, I need to clean my coolant overflow tube as it has been packed with mud. I saw this the last time I layed underneath.

It really is a fun truck! Enjoy!

scottmandu

Cab tilt.. make sure you have the proper knobs set on the control panel, the parking brake must be applied, and the reservoir must be full.
The fan works as you describe it.
The turret cover is a fairly expensive part. Also check for rust under the sound mats, truck with missing turret covers means a wet floor.
I have new windshields
CTIS could be a number of things. Most common is the valves on the wheels won't open, or the banjo bolt leaks at the seals. There is a pretty detailed diagnostic procedure in the TM's.

cjacksoncpa

Taking tomorrow off to work on my M1078. I will get back to you on the CTIS issue

Pump is behind cab. Integral reservoir. Check the fluid level. 5 flashing lights from start on the ctis or 5 flashing lights after it does an initial pressure test?
Suprman,
I will get back to you on the CTIS issue. The first thing I have to do is install the new batteries. They were nice enough to jump it for me and I drove it back and didn't have time to change them. I will check the reservoir next and check the fluid. Then I can see if I can lower and raise the spare tire. That should let me know if I need to rebuild the pump or not. If I get that sorted then I will move to the CTIS issue.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure how others do it, but I usually dump the cab air ride system before lifting the cab. So that would be using the plunger in the lower right side of the control box to let the cab settle to it's hard mounts. Then I switch the top control to cab "raise" and push (and hold) the plunger in the lower left. This allows the air-over-hydraulic pump to operate and lift the cab. It almost sounds like an old "hit or miss" gas engine running as the air pressure is released to operate the hydraulic unit. It takes some time to raise the cab... maybe 2-3 minutes. You can probably raise and lower it once without the engine running before air reserves have been depleted and it won't work. So... make sure you have full air pressure or leave the engine running to do this. As others have mentioned the parking brake must be set.

IMG_3465.jpg

sargentwolf

check that your seats are bolted down before tilting! nearly lost my replacement windshield to the gunners seat (thank god i still have the army habbit of securing all seatbelts when leaving the truck)

cjacksoncpa

Checked the hydro fluid level and added some but still no luck on raising the cab. I used the manual pump and raised the cab so I guess that means I have a pump(rebuild) issue.
On the CTIS the 5 lights are flashing from the beginning not just after the initial pressure test. Didn't have time to go further.
The temp. light and stop indicator where not on when I fired it up today.
No major rust in the cab floor so maybe it didn't sit out too long without the turrent cover on it.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can read on here of how others rebuilt their pumps. Mine is on the out as well. May change up with a elec pump.

as for your batteries don't give up on them yet. I have recovered mine with a desulfurization charger. Also topped off the water.

good luck and have fun

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks