• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just Put On the Front Lockouts!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it will have some effect but not that much . I think the cons out weigh the pros for this idea how ever .
plus its fun looking in the mirror and seeing the front tandem spinning just a hair faster and seeing it leave black marks on pavement or dig up dirt when i turn... lotta power and torque to do that! :twisted:

dabtl

We tend to forget these were military vehicles designed to go where civilian trucks could not.

I recall cranetruck (Bjorn) saying one time that there is a reason for a starter relay to be where it is and do what it does. The designers had a reason for both the starter relay and for the mechanical operation.

I have thought that Bjorn's comment was one of the wiser observations ever made here. There is a reason. It was not for parades or driving the kids around town. It was to go where civilian trucks could not go to perform tasks they could not. Across dirt, mud or difficult terrain we would be glad for some extra torque, or horsepower as you put it. It would be doing what it was designed to do.

So, taming the deuce is difficult. But, lockouts are one thing that makes it better for our use.

These go over the shift lever and transfer case lever. They keep the heat and dust out in Texas. In the land of the Yankees they keep heat in the cab. I have them on the second deuce and it makes a lot of difference in parades here in the Summer.

http://jatonkam35s.com/m35shiftboots.htm
thanks for the link, I need some of them and a set of seat covers too!
(and a winch cover....)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wildchild unless you are running lockers it really wouldnt help , tire scrub is the problem with turning and lockouts on the rear wouldnt change that . With open diffs they can rotate freely and not bind in a turn . If your locked in the rear then yes i see your point .
Actually it will help exponentially. Front tire wear from push goes down drastically. Major improvement in mileage as it eliminates tire scrub from the different diameter rear tires. Rear tire circumference varies drastically. Even if you use my formula to match them, they still won't be perfect. Improves rear tire life as well. There are more gains to be had from unlocking a rear axle than installing lockouts on a front axle.

How will it hold up? Not heard of a single break here on SS and there are quite a few using them.

Traction off the road sucks but it's only the turn of one hub that gets you back in the game.

FWIW Cranetruck did an MV Magazine article dealing with this and it had some excellent info on it. Maybe Bjorn will post up which volume it was in.

Lockouts on the front only save you parasitic drag, a single lockout on the rear elimitates fuel sucking tire scrub and you get vastly improved tire life.

dabtl

I got the axle and the lockout put on the first deuce a couple of years ago. It was OK on flat streets, but my drive way is gravel and sloped. Admittedly, I could have locked it and driven out normally, stopped and unlocked it on pavement and driven on. But, as this gets driven mostly in parades, it was more trouble than it was worth.

So it's purpose is to minimize moving parts on the front axle when you don't want 6x6 (or 4x4 for bobbers). Kinda like a Ford 4x4 with the lockout hubs and the 4wd shift in the cab, correct? I can see the purpose now.
I never really understood that myself, thanks for clearing this a bit. Isn't it undesireable to lock out the driveshaft in non 6x6 mode? I mean, normally it keeps the shafts and the differential moving and it seems to me that it is better when those things are in motion and therefore lubricated (axle seals, too).

Cheers,
Mark

DieselBob

I have always had manual hubs and transfer case in my pickups. All you really need to do is every month or so lock the hubs and take a 20~30 mile drive. I have used this method for the 30+ years I have owned 4X4's and never had bearing or seal failure because of lack of lubrication. 2cents