• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just spit balling…brakes

rustystud

Sure it could be done. You would need to beef up the firewall for support, but yeah it should work fine. I just need the extra room in the engine compartment. Having the master cylinder sticking out in there would hit stuff I already have there, like my heater box for one.

DaneGer21

Sure it could be done. You would need to beef up the firewall for support, but yeah it should work fine. I just need the extra room in the engine compartment. Having the master cylinder sticking out in there would hit stuff I already have there, like my heater box for one.
True. Maybe this one would be easier if there’s room under the dash. I’ll take a look at the spec sheet…

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because of my chosen profession my first thought was what a great idea and then my other side of me took over.

You have an accident and even if the brakes worked perfectly the lawsuit would point out that you deliberately modified the manufacturer's original design.

Now it's done everyday on our trucks and a lot of other items we use but I try to minimize the litigation target on my back, not make it bigger.

But this is all my opinion.

DaneGer21

Because of my chosen profession my first thought was what a great idea and then my other side of me took over.

You have an accident and even if the brakes worked perfectly the lawsuit would point out that you deliberately modified the manufacturer's original design.

Now it's done everyday on our trucks and a lot of other items we use but I try to minimize the litigation target on my back, not make it bigger.

I see this point also.

rustystud

Yeah. We do live in a litigious society ! My son is thinking of taking Law in college now. Guess I'll need to stop telling that old joke about "10,000 lawyers on the bottom of the ocean" !

banditt1979

I understand everyones point of view. But has anyone looked at a custom hot rod type of vehicle? Seems kind of the same thing if you ask me. When I do brakes on a custom vehicle I don't ask for permission from DOT I just buy parts that are DOT approved. Match up parts that in the engineering world calculate out correctly what's the deal?

rustystud

I am pretty sure it would add the certifying engineer into the litigation food chain.
I understand everyones point of view. But has anyone looked at a custom hot rod type of vehicle? Seems kind of the same thing if you ask me. When I do brakes on a custom vehicle I don't ask for permission from DOT I just buy parts that are DOT approved. Match up parts that in the engineering world calculate out correctly what's the deal?
Really there is no difference except a couple more tons of weight travelling down the road. Don't get me wrong. I plan on going to disc brakes when I can afford to, but the "powers that be" sometimes don't see things the way we do. Also if the party that gets hit if your in an accident has a good lawyer they can really put the hurt on you. That is why you need to have a "safety inspection" done to your truck after modifying the brakes by your local State Patrol. Tell them what you did and they'll take it from there. Usually a road test and up close vehicle inspection will allow you to get certified by them. Though I did have a State Trooper once who must have gotten out of bed on the wrong side that day. It took hours, and involved several inspectors going over my truck before they let me go.

fleetmech

Its sad that you have to base your judgments strictly on tort law, knowing its your butt on the line either way... homebrew mods to improve safety, or OEM 'engineered' mediocrity?

I feel like you'd have a chance as long as all components are DOT approved, but who knows. Dual circuit conversions are not an unheard of thing in the rest of the classic car world, after all.

rustystud

Its sad that you have to base your judgments strictly on tort law, knowing its your butt on the line either way... homebrew mods to improve safety, or OEM 'engineered' mediocrity?

I feel like you'd have a chance as long as all components are DOT approved, but who knows. Dual circuit conversions are not an unheard of thing in the rest of the classic car world, after all.
Totally agree with you.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yes, it is sad but it is the world we live in. I'm risk averse in my profession and carry specialty insurance in my private life for it as well.

It's not like I have never added a safety feature to an MV. Remote reservoir to my M813 when I still had it was good thing.

DaneGer21

I could see if it was installed incorrectly or poorly, but I don’t know how an upgraded safety feature could be a bad thing.

I think an added circuit is a good thing! Not to mention parts from one of the biggest, probably the biggest, brake company, Wilwood.

rustystud

I could see if it was installed incorrectly or poorly, but I don’t know how an upgraded safety feature could be a bad thing.

I think an added circuit is a good thing! Not to mention parts from one of the biggest, probably the biggest, brake company, Wilwood.
I think you hit on one of the major concerns of the DOT people. Incorrectly installed parts. Who wouldn't agree that adding a dual brake system to an old single brake system isn't a good thing ? Added redundancy is great ! If installed incorrectly then it could be a potential bomb travelling down the road.
That is why I have the "State Patrol" inspect anything involving the brake system. If I'm involved in an accident, then the lawyers cannot come after me for a faulty/non OEM brake system. When I do go with the disc brake system, you can be assured I will be having it inspected.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks