• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just spitballing...winching out your own deuce while alone.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before everything gets locked etc. here is some rear winch mounting ideas. I seriously consider doing this. I have a 17.5k winch sitting in the garage waiting for a new home.

davidb56

Thanks I'll be sure to crawl into my cocoon and never come out. Would you like to buy my truck, my cars and my house? Life is so full of perils, why bother trying to live it.
Back to the original post you made....Ive pulled tons of trees and logs out of the forest and had a couple of line breaks. If what you are pulling hits a stump, you only got a split second to back off. Theres no way I'd stand next to my winch while pulling in a hazardous area, or with a very heavy load. Thats why I do it from inside the cab which offers a little protection. when my line broke, it passed the truck up and was being it in a split second. When a swivel hook broke, it sounded like a 50 cal bullet flying by. (both made in China of course) So even pulling yourself out can have equipment failures. The position you are standing may make a difference, or not. Do what you fill comfortable with, and remember that stuff breaks sometimes before its rated capacity.

charlesmann

Back to the original post you made....Ive pulled tons of trees and logs out of the forest and had a couple of line breaks. If what you are pulling hits a stump, you only got a split second to back off. Theres no way I'd stand next to my winch while pulling in a hazardous area, or with a very heavy load. Thats why I do it from inside the cab which offers a little protection. when my line broke, it passed the truck up and was being it in a split second. When a swivel hook broke, it sounded like a 50 cal bullet flying by. (both made in China of course) So even pulling yourself out can have equipment failures. The position you are standing may make a difference, or not. Do what you fill comfortable with, and remember that stuff breaks sometimes before its rated capacity.
I had my cable snap while yarding on a 4,000 walnut log. Luckily i was standing between my goonseneck and truck, with some twig size tree limbs hanging between the log and the trailer neck uprights. The limbs allowed the cable to ball up a d slow down before getting to the uprights.

When the cable broke, by the time i realized what happened and side stepped, the cable had come to rest in the limbs and on the trailer deck.

From what i could tell as to why the cable broke, was due to numerous strands broken and me failing to do an inspection of the cable bc it was raining kittens and puppies and i didnt want to take the extra 1 min to inspect my equipment.

I now, before doing a tree recovery, inspect everything the day before and again when i get to the job site, regardless of weather conditions.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had my cable snap while yarding on a 4,000 walnut log. Luckily i was standing between my goonseneck and truck, with some twig size tree limbs hanging between the log and the trailer neck uprights. The limbs allowed the cable to ball up a d slow down before getting to the uprights.

When the cable broke, by the time i realized what happened and side stepped, the cable had come to rest in the limbs and on the trailer deck.

From what i could tell as to why the cable broke, was due to numerous strands broken and me failing to do an inspection of the cable bc it was raining kittens and puppies and i didnt want to take the extra 1 min to inspect my equipment.

I now, before doing a tree recovery, inspect everything the day before and again when i get to the job site, regardless of weather conditions.
REALLY LUCKY. Don't generally believe in luck - but you were definitely in the right place at the right time.
Those winch blankets sure seem like a good idea... They appear to drive the cable to the ground a little faster when it all goes wrong...

charlesmann

REALLY LUCKY. Don't generally believe in luck - but you were definitely in the right place at the right time.
Those winch blankets sure seem like a good idea... They appear to drive the cable to the ground a little faster when it all goes wrong...

I do carry leather saw chaps when i do recovery ops, but pissing rain, i didnt drag them out of the cab that day. That day, i was using the spare tire as an umbrella, and the cards were in my favor.

Usually once i get a tree bucked to size, i throw the chaps over the cable and stand 15-20 feet to the side of the trailer.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I do carry leather saw chaps when i do recovery ops, but pissing rain, i didnt drag them out of the cab that day. That day, i was using the spare tire as an umbrella, and the cards were in my favor.

Usually once i get a tree bucked to size, i throw the chaps over the cable and stand 15-20 feet to the side of the trailer.
Agreed! Crummy weather makes all of us do things we might not otherwise do...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks