• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just took in a m101a1

Got my first trailer I don't know much about them but I am learning so if anyone can give me any info I would appreciate it. From what I can tell it was a mobile power trailer as it has a box inside labeled Gen1 and Gen 2 with leads but someone had removed the generators. Also it has a stabilizer leg folded under the trailer. It has its original markings which I know nothing about other than the tire pressure one. Is there a way to decode what they mean? I thought maybe Fleet Hospital or something similar. I had to remove one of the bows to bring it home because it was in poor shape and about to break. Here are some pics:

20201220_170902.jpg20201220_155054_HDR.jpg20201220_154907_HDR.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice score.
It’s old but looks to be in good shape except for the wood.

Is there a Data plate on the front frame?
Can’t tell in the pics
It will show model and make & year of manufacture.
I see the data plate on the front of the bed.
That will/should also show that info also.

Post a picture as that will help others know exactly what you have if you need help with something.

Was it acquired at auction or private sale?

Plenty of info here.
Just search for M101A1 and read all the old threads.
The Technical Manual for this trailer is available for free download in the TM section.

First thing I would recommend is to check the bearings and make sure their in good shape and have plenty of grease.

The M101 series are great trailers.

Thanks Tinstar, it does have one on the front of the box it is a 1967 m101a1 built by Johnson corp. delivery Feb 67' The only one on the tongue talks about the generators 3kw 60hz. One plate is so faded I can't read it looks like something about the generators. I purchased it from an individual off Craigslist he bought it from a neighbor who bought it from a farmer that lived down the road. Here are some pics:

20201220_155109.jpg20201220_155118.jpg20201220_155121.jpg

My plans for it is to keep it as authentic as possible and still use it occasionally when I need a two wheel trailer verses using my bigger trailer. I like the fact it hasn't been messed with much and I would like to restore the wood, paint the frame where it is beginning to peel in places, repack the bearings, bed and fenders are heavily undercoated so they are mint.

I may shoot a new coat of paint on the outside in the current color which from what I can figure out from pictures online and comparing to the color underneath is different from original it looks like OD green with field drab respray? I want to keep all the markings and also the inside of the bed definitely has to be painted it is scalley on bottom and has some bare metal.

I am going to make an adapter for the wiring plug and get the lights working. My son has already claimed joint ownership so I see it being cared for for a really long time since he is 22 and loves stuff like this. He is already interested in a M37 to pull it with and I found one already with 36 thousand miles locally and original paint that would match the trailer. So mostly just preserve it and keep it up and running.

fasttruck

The number "FH93-03" is some kind of unit marking possibly "Field Hospital" as a unit like that would likely have a lot of generators. The leg in the back is to stabilize the trailer when it is not hooked up to a truck. This one appears top have the original lights. The Army itself changed many of these and M105 trailers to composite lights which the service light is somewhat more visible. If your trailer has Packard plugs it would be a simple switch.

These trailers have a hinged drawbar to reduce the cubage they take up when shipped. This is not intended to make it into a dump trailer as some think. If you have something heavy in it like wet sand you will probably bend the drawbar trying to dump it. Pic of M101 from rear. Composite lights are visible under tailgate. Also pic of M37/M101.

Attachments

Thanks for the info guys! 67Beast that does look like the color when I looked it up. It has been resprayed and the original color under it is dark green like from pictures of wwII stuff and very shiny the frame is all that color and anywhere the respray came off it is darker green and a different shade of green. I am attaching a picture I found of what the original color looks like:

1608862342385.png1608862342385.png

I found a picture that shows the two colors on the spare tire the outer edge of the rim is the respray color and the inner part of the rim is the original color. Here is the pic:

20201220_154923_HDR (1).jpg

Tomorrow I am going to start work on my trailer among other things. I plan to connect 12 volts to it and attempt to build an adapter to get some lights working as the first line of business. Then on to another piece of the puzzle.

Well I worked on the M101 today thanks to the pinned post on this section I was able to figure out my pins without taking anything apart and made an adapter to see if they would work and everything worked great, tails, turn signals, hazards and brake lights. And were plenty bright unlike I expected from them so i can take the temporarys someone added off. I am super excited it's always great when stuff works like it is supposed to. On to packing bearings and greasing and etc..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not uncommon to find 12V bulbs swapped into the 101 trailers as quite a few ended up behind CUCVs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks