• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

K & N filter

blasini

Hi Fellas

Thought I would share my experiences with installing a K & N filter. Part # E-1009

I removed the air cleaner assembly complete. The diminsions for the K & N filter are 3 3/8 intake, 7 1/4 tall and 5 7/8 round ( x pie 3.1416) which equals a total of 134 square inches of filter area which flows 6.03 cfm per square inch. So this filter flows 808CFM. With this flow it flows 97 % more air. I mounted it directly to the intake pipe and used a long heavy duty HVAC plastic wire tie to secure it to the intake pipe coming out of the turbo. Although the filter is 1/4 inch to big for the intake I used rubber to make the intake larger to accomidate the size of the intake of the filter. The mushroom cap will only be on there for looks now but I will add a pipe to direct air to the filter soon enough.

I had already turned the fuel up till max temp was 1200 degrees on my pre-turbo pyrometer under load. Boost was maxed out at a little over 10 pounds. I then roadtested the truck and here is where the diffences are from stock.

an increase in accellleration

I can hear the turbo spool up ( 1 D style turbo)

idle went up about 25 or 30 RPM

on highway it labored less at 50 MPH

throttle responce was much improved

seems at max boost it runs out of power ( it needs an intercooler here)

Since this truck will be out in the Wyoming desert for the rest of its life I figure to buy a filter wrap for it before I drive it out there to leave it. The only other thing I am going to do is install a aero turbine muffler/resonater to keep the noise level down and hopefully gain some torque. I will post results when this is complete.
My truck is the van body so it the exhaust stack will be changed to 4 inch tube size to increase a little horse power ( i hope) and be 11 foot 4 inches off the ground.

I have been fooling around with the fuel a lot to see how the pyro and boost gauge responds so if anyone has questions or comments you are welcome to corrospond.

Desert Rat

John,
I see you used the same height I have for my set-up on the exhaust. I left the stack at 3 & 1/2 inches. I did not have any detrimental effects by doing so.

Could you post some pics of the modifications you performed for us to examine? I'm looking to do something similar (K&N filter in place of stock filter and so on) with my truck to help with economy and power.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John Doe, you may need to check your fuel filters. More boost should be expected with the fuel turned up, etc.
Below is a picture of the gauges in my deuce. There is glare to contend with , but the readings are 1,150 F and 12.5 psi boost.
I have not tampered with the fuel delivery (yet). The turbo is the "D" installed on a N/A engine, which has less fuel delivery than the standard turbo version, about 62 lb/hr vs 64 lb/hr.

Take notes! you learn a lot whenyou start to look at the numbers.

I'm running on biodiesel now, so I'm always looking for changes. One thing about BD is that the EGT is lower. Fuel consumption may be slightly higher, but it has at least if not more power than before (on petro diesel).

My BD is homemade and not "washed", so it may contain some residual methanol adding to the power output.

Good point about the air filter, it's worth a try.
Mounting the air filter outside of the engine compartment is also a way to improve performance. Cooler air = more oxygen.
A 5-ton filter cansister would look cool (no pun intended) on the fender. Larger filter too.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The above picture was taken some place East of Lexington, Kentucky on I-64, don't know the elevation. I have observed about the same readings at various elevations, from a few hundred feet (North Carolina I-40) to 2,000-3,000 feet (Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains). In any case, this is when I ease off on "gas" ....

Desert Rat

Devin,
Click on th pencil in your post (upper right). That gets you into edit mode. Scroll down to the Attachment Manager and click on it. A window should pop up where you can browse for your pic. Click on the pic to upload and the click on the upload button. When you're done scroll a bit further down to the submit button and then stick-a-fork-in-you, you're done!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
The set up is temporary, I plan on making a filter housing out of sheet metal then utilizing the mushroom cap to suck in the outside air. Even though its sucking in the hot engine air it still makes a big difference. The filter could be made to fit inside the stock canister if the canister was cut and lengthend about 2", that would be ideal! K&N has alot of universal airfilters if you go to their website and know what size your looking for. I happened to have this filter left over from my powerstroke days. The stock paper air filter flows 405 cfm max and this K&N I calculated to be about 1200cfm of air, thats a big difference. Im getting 20lbs of boost at 1200 deg and I think the filter allows so much extra air in the motor it keeps the egt's down versus if it was with a paper filter. Im gonna turn it down to about 12-15lbs so I dont blow the motor.

Trango

Hey guys

I JUST returned from lunch and the mailroom, and my RU3040 filter just came. It's 6" opening at the flange, 7" in diameter, and 12" long. The inside of the stock air filter housing cap (the thing that bolts to the firewall) has this 5.5" OD "mandrel" for the stock filter, and my mount will fit around that "mandrel".

Then my plan is to basically use the stock mushroom (air filter housing), but mod it to hold the extra length of the filter....

I should be done tonight on this thing. Along with adjusting the throttle linkage... I floored it last night going 58 but it wouldn't go any faster. :(

Bob

Trango

Oh yeah.... before anyone decides that they will be welding to the cap of the stock air mushroom, and then spends a couple of nights restless in bed thinking about the design.... it's cast aluminum and won't weld like easy mild steel! :(

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks