• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

K & N filter

Trango

Oh, I have TIG, but just not AC tig. Plus, I really don't, well, ENJOY Tigging cast aluminum. Not one bit!

It was easier in the end to just make a big flat piece of steel that covered the area with the intake I needed.

BBOb

Trango

So I'm trying to get more sleep these days, which means I am trying to spend less time working on stuff when I get home from work. In other words, these plasma cuts are a little rough.... :)

Here's the mounting piece... that 6" OD piece of tube is actually part of a muffler I scavenged from my exhaust guy's bone pile when I got the exhaust put on the deuce:

Here it is joined to the filter

And, had it not been for the intense rain we got, I'd have it bolted into place and sealed up with RTV already:

Anyway, thanks to Mangus580, I found a place to get this filter for about $55. Sweet!

Bob

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you know the cylinder volume of the engine and the rpm you can calculate the amount of air that the engine can possibly "suck" in. For a naturally aspirated engine that amount is 173 cubic ft/min at 2,500 rpm. If you have a boost of 15 psi (1 bar), the amount is doubled.

The way I see it, the engine gets all it needs from the stock filters as long as they are clean.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, calculations are preliminary!

Question: How do YOU load the engine to give you a boost of 15-20 psi and an EGT of 1,200?

I max out (12 psi/1,150F) in the hills trying to maintain speed with a gross vehicle weight of 20,000 lb or more (Just FYI).

Sorry about the nit-picking.

Anybody tried driving with no filter at all?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I get that boost/egt with the truck empty on full throttle runs through the gears. Ive got the truck loaded up ,(my first load), with my old patio cover and dirt from a big house project . Ill be making a trip to the dump this weekend and Ill get pics of the guages loaded and empty. Im guessing the egt's are going to be going up with a 3-5k lb load. Ill post results this weekend.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Finally got the pics downloaded. This was my trip to the dump with 3k lbs of junk in the back. Took a pic of the boost/egt guages while going up a moderate hill in 4th gear I believe. Only getting 18 lbs of boost now since turning down the pump a tad out of fear of causing some damage. Dont mind the temporary guage setup, havent had much time to make it pretty.

Trango

The BEST part about your gauge setup picture is the fact that it displays that you wear the same safety footwear that I frequently do.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
It was a bad choice of footwear considering I was at the trash dump climbing around the back of my truck unloading rusty nailed wood. I was careful and came home unpunctured.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder what the readings are for a stock turbo engine with factory settings. They don't have the gauges and no feedback on the EGT in particular....

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had a boost guage on my 1st truck with a 1D motor. It had about 7 lbs of boost stock. I swapped in a 1C turbo to see the difference and it put out about 5.5 lbs of boost stock, but sounded better. Didnt have a pyro guage though.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Devin, those are interesting readings!
My engine was N/A and I added the turbo (D) and the gauges a couple of years ago. I did not change the fuel delivery and my boost has pegged 12.5 psi. 11 psi is routine when driving in the hills around here.
A couple of points, #1, the fuel delivery is less for the stock N/A engine, 62 lb/hr vs 64 for the turbos. #2 there is a cam in the governor (I think it's called "smoke limit cam") and its angle is different in the N/A engine. I have wondered about this cam setting and nobody seems to have an answer. It is possible that it effects the fuel delivery in that the purpose for the turbo was to limit the exhaust smoke. Perhaps the cam angle limits the fuel delivery for certain positions of the "gas" pedal to help reduce exhaust smoke (excess fuel).

Dieselsmoke

cranetruck said:
#2 there is a cam in the governor (I think it's called "smoke limit cam") and its angle is different in the N/A engine. I have wondered about this cam setting and nobody seems to have an answer. It is possible that it effects the fuel delivery in that the purpose for the turbo was to limit the exhaust smoke. Perhaps the cam angle limits the fuel delivery for certain positions of the "gas" pedal to help reduce exhaust smoke (excess fuel).

Exactly what it is for. It limits fuel output to reduce smoke on acceleration from a dead stop basically.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahhh, very good , Bill, if that's so, it does explain the power (boost) from my engine, which seems to be comparable to engines with the "fuel turned up".

Perhaps, the "stock turbo" guys should also tinker with the smoke cam when increasing the fuel delivery.

My compensator is not bypassed and the fuel is not turned up, BUT it was a N/A to begin with. Smoke cam angle: 75 deg (N/A) vs 48 deg for -1C and -1D

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the cam angle, in my own article on the turbo conversion (MVM Dec 2002, p65), I give the explanation as stated by Bill, however, I'm not sure what reference was used (old age and all that). Bill, if you have a reference to a manual, let us know.
Thanks,

Dieselsmoke

Nope, no reference to a manual...just what was explained to me by an injection shop when we had a pump all tore apart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks