• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kassim503's new [used] M1008

kassim503

So last monday I picked up a new m1008 to replace my recently sold 1009. Mechanically, shes in great condition, was a parks dept truck that had the motor & tranny replaced less than 20k ago, along with 48k on the chassis. Has a Fisher 8' speedcast plow. Electrically nothing is butchered up, and so far ive put on about 200 miles on it in the past few days.

The bad part is, as a truck that had a sander and plow on it for the duration of most of its life so its rotten, there is a hideous patch panel on the bed, and rust everywhere. Also it needs glow plugs, or has a leaky fuel filter base as its hard to start in the morning. Additionally, its missing the grille guard and bridge plate, which I think I want to replace as I am painting it green again. Forgot to get some daytime shots before I started sanding up trouble spots but here is a few to look at. Ill be spraying it either tommorow or sunday, see how the patch panel looks after a coat of flat paint.

Attachments

kassim503

Oh and to add, the fuel filler door hinge broke off the first time I put gas into it, which is shown in pic 2/4 and mabye 4/4. I was told I could just stick a square magnet on there and it will stay closed. Think it will work?

And the motor was R&R'd with a 6.5 NA diesel, just as slow as the 6.2 if anybody wondered

kassim503

blasted it with paint! took the troop seats off & put them into dry storage, tightened the gen 2 belt, cleaned the gross sand, mud mix out of the bed, unstuck the frozen dragging brake cable, spilled a coffee on the dashboard. Very productive christmas indeed!

Painted it with the 383 green Behr premium plus mix

Attachments

kassim503

Ill snap some pics tommorow of the pump, its mounted above GEN 2 using this hideous contraption of flat stock and turnbuckles.

and YES! Ill be there this spring & next fall, any word on dates yet?

USAWEAPON777

I don't think they've posted anything about dates. It will be cool to do some wheelin again. Don't worry about the rust. If it gets used like your last blazer they'll make awesome drain holes :D

kassim503

Haha, I dont think ill be running this one like the blazer!
I flooored it today and it squealed the tires! Those 4.56 gears are sweeeeeeet
Forgot to take pump pics today, ill get em in tommorow.

kassim503

I did the behr premium plus paint job using the 383 color code found in some thread here, shot with a wagner power sprayer. I did this to my m101 and the old 1009, and it really performs well once it cures (a month later, literally). Up to then you can put a scratch in it with a strong gust of wind.

Pump pics!
I know its a bit tough to dechiper, but the pressure/return lines are draped over the motor to the distribution block on the drivers side fender, out through the grille onto the plow. The rear of the pump is held up by a ring going around the pump body & a turnbuckle to near the water pump. The front is a frame that appears to be bolted into a existing bracket, and the Gen2 tensioner bar is now bolted to the custom pump bracket

Attachments

kassim503

I forgot to talk about progress! I stuck & wired in a amber light strobe back onto the headache rack, put in a cheap cheap am/fm radio. and changed 6 glow plugs.

of course all of this didnt go as planned, the exisiting dash speakers that were there are blown, skipped 2 glows b/c one was swelled & the other is trapped in by the oil cooler line. The resistor ballast isnt there, and 6 good ones should be good enough for mild long island winters. Oh and after doing the glow plugs, the overheat light is on now, although im nowhere near overheating. Will find out in the morning if it "fixes itself"

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you're making progress, kassim! Good save, and it already looks 100% better since you sprayed it with OD green. Hope to see that as your tow vehicle for the RC rally!

wilogger

Nice truck I've been thinking of an easy way to transfer my pump from my 6.2 jimmy to my m1008. Thanks for the pics, your way looks easier than my way. I'm glad I found this sight theres lots of tech help & good ideas. My old truck needs lots of TLC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks