• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kennesaw Mtn GA MVPA Show and Swap Meet

Chief_919

Getting access to a base is easy. Getting a group to drive a trail is simple. Whoever said unlimited access is going to happen, is a moron.
A group driving a mild tank trail is a far, far cry from of road park style wheeling. Anything you got permission to do at Benning would be very mild and very limited- not at all like what you find at the GA Rally.

Chief_919

Getting access to a base is easy. Getting a group to drive a trail is simple. Whoever said unlimited access is going to happen, is a moron.
A very simple, limited and mild trail ride- the best you could hope to get for the training areas at Benning- is a far cry from the style of wheeling you would find at on off road park like the GA rally has.

The whole point is that teh four wheeling draws people to the GA rally. You might get a limited trail ride at Benning, but you won't get any four wheeling that would be a draw for people.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing I am saying is, GA has the potential to be the premier MV event. Now is the time to make it happen.[thumbzup]

123mack

In the club I belong to, the Dixie Division, we have been discussing a regional event now for a couple of years now, but havn't come up with a location or time. Maybe some collaboration is in order. Huntsville has been mentioned in some conversations, since it would give good access to the midwest as well as be central to the southeast. proximity to Redstone is another plus.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
to get back on topic, here is some pics that my daughter took at the meet

Attachments

hopkins92

Hey, everybody, thanks for participation in our Fall Rally.

All the good things that you saw at the site were arranged by the Southern Museum staff, specifically Jane Pies and Harper Harris. That includes the food vendors, portable restrooms and wash station, access to the shady private lot in the rear, free museum passes, and even the emergency generator to power up the RV hookups. (Unbeknowst to the Museum staff, the underground electrical feed to the hookups had been accidently cut during a construction project.) This level of support and hospitality by a rally site owner absolutely amazed me. They even said they want us to come back next year.

All the bad things are my fault.

That being said, the next GAMVPA meeting will be on October 16, 2010, 12 noon, at the Delkwood Grill, 2769 Delk Road, Marietta, Georgia 30067-6204. Y'all come and talk rallies, past, present, and future.

P.S. Attached is a picture of me sitting in front of "41 Tons of Persuasion," one of our 830 tractor-drawn scrapers, D Company, 92nd Engineer Battalion, Long Binh RVN, December 1971. I'm the MVPA and I like big trucks!!

Attachments

airmech3839

Hey, everybody, thanks for participation in our Fall Rally.

All the good things that you saw at the site were arranged by the Southern Museum staff, specifically Jane Pies and Harper Harris. That includes the food vendors, portable restrooms and wash station, access to the shady private lot in the rear, free museum passes, and even the emergency generator to power up the RV hookups. (Unbeknowst to the Museum staff, the underground electrical feed to the hookups had been accidently cut during a construction project.) This level of support and hospitality by a rally site owner absolutely amazed me. They even said they want us to come back next year.

All the bad things are my fault.

That being said, the next GAMVPA meeting will be on October 16, 2010, 12 noon, at the Delkwood Grill, 2769 Delk Road, Marietta, Georgia 30067-6204. Y'all come and talk rallies, past, present, and future.

P.S. Attached is a picture of me sitting in front of "41 Tons of Persuasion," one of our 830 tractor-drawn scrapers, D Company, 92nd Engineer Battalion, Long Binh RVN, December 1971. I'm the MVPA and I like big trucks!!

I hope you are not taking the disscussion as a beat down. I know that most of the comments were meant to be informative and personal fellings of how the event unfolded. I chatted with the young lady from the museum and told her how much I appreciated the event and the museum. I didn't use the free passes I felt that we needed to support the museum for putting on this and taking the liability of our presence. I went and tried to introduce myself to some of the GAMVPA "regulars". I am a member and this is my first event.

We all I think would like to see a "mesh" of the groups that would be beneficial for all of us. I in no way meant to badger the GAMVPA guys. Just state my opinion of the event.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Thank you for your hospitality and a great event.

I had a good time and left with more stuff than I arrived with (this is not an uncommon occurence as I have a steep learning curve).

Elmo had a good time too.

We hope that the GA MVPA folks know that they are welcome at all SS events....especially the upcoming GA Rally in Oct.

TaylorTradingCo

great time

Also left with more than came with and less money, but intended it that way, annual restocking trip. I personally liked being in the shade. The weather was perfect for us, we slept out under the stars. The atmosphere was relaxed and we had a great time.

Many thanks to the museum staff for their assistance.

Derek Taylor

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
we had a great time at the meet, our first one, met some great people. We rattled in late on friday in the big "ROLL TIDE" motor... we were glad for the air on saturday..

We couldn't get the M37 truck going enough to even be pulled, we have to try next time.

great contacts and lots of fun... we will be back for sure

Chris

airmech3839

Don't worry, T-man, I've got a pretty thick skin.

Well thats good.. I know that we can be pretty bad once the grinch comes out in us.. I have had my coffee now so I feel much better!!

My son and his friend had a blast... they were the ones running around with walkie talkies and acting like 10-11yr olds... oh wait they are 10 and 11yr olds... they really enjoyed the museum and the stuff that they got to see... not sure they really slept any!! They said they wanted to stay longer... I wish I had gotten there earlier on Friday so we could have seen and done some more and chatted with everyone some more..

Can't wait till the GA rally!!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Jim & Chief,

Intent is not, nor would it ever be, to take over the SS GA Rally. I would actually say this needs to be a southern version of Aberdeen. Large, static, and having the museum folks involved.

Timing in my opinion should be March before it gets hot.

Columbus would be the location for the fact that is the location of the infantry museum and the soon to come armor museum. At Aberdeen, they enable the show attendees to go on base to the ordnance museum. The 242 outdoor exhibits include lots of armor and artillery including panthers, pzIII, pz IV, II, I, T34, more modern stuff, etc. The signifiance of these museums and the hobby should not under any circumstances be underestimated. The museum and the show make it a powerful magnet.

The off roading aspect is probably a bridge too far early on. I agree with Chief, the current range restrictions would be pretty tough to do until we become established and then would still be doubtful. The bases others brought up were National Guard Camps. These are operated by states under a vastly different set of rules from federally owned bases.

Tom,

Thanks for the event. Hopefully we can all work together in the future to mutually support each other.

CARNAC

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It might be possible to do some trail rides on the Alabama side of the Chattahoochie river.

That is where the Airborne School drop zone is and there are a lot of dirt roads out there.

You can access that area without having to get on base.

We would have to coodinate with Range Control but it would probably be easier than trying to convoy across main post.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim & Chief,
Intent is not, nor would it ever be, to take over the SS GA Rally. I would actually say this needs to be a southern version of Aberdeen. Large, static, and having the museum folks involved.
CARNAC
CARNAC, I totally agree. Just saying, we CAN overtake Aberdeen very easily. The onbase routes shoule be easy to set up also.
v/r,
Jim AKA another "CHIEF"

Greensteel37

I'm bringing up the rear here but I will say the show was good from a "good deals" point of view. There did seem to be a divide between the big trucks and the jeeps, whether by intent or by the geography of the site.

I have been puzzled in the past by the apparent disconnect between the jeep guys and the "bigger" than jeep guys. It may have to do with the WWII history buffs vs. the guys who love big military trucks. There's history on both sides but the jeep guys tend to be more living history minded which is cool.

The show site was better than last year but still too small and the layout was difficult. All in all it was a good show.

I had a good time. Was it optimum? Perhaps not but still a good show. What show is perfect anyway....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks