• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

kenworth coe k100

preyn2

Many COEs have a hydraulic jack arrangement for lifting/tilting the cab. Part of the hydraulic circuit would release some hooks that held the cab down. You're looking for something that looks like the handle/pump/socket thingy of a bottle jack. Stick the handle in it and work it like a bottle jack. Many trucks had that handle in a couple of spring clips inside the cab behind the drivers seat, but if yours is still there I'll eat my hat. Don't forget to close the valve on the hydraulic pump or you'll pump a long long long time without lifting anything.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many COEs have a hydraulic jack arrangement for lifting/tilting the cab. Part of the hydraulic circuit would release some hooks that held the cab down. You're looking for something that looks like the handle/pump/socket thingy of a bottle jack. Stick the handle in it and work it like a bottle jack. Many trucks had that handle in a couple of spring clips inside the cab behind the drivers seat, but if yours is still there I'll eat my hat. Don't forget to close the valve on the hydraulic pump or you'll pump a long long long time without lifting anything.
:ditto:

I remember KW COEs having the hydraulic jack arrangement as well to lift the cab.

2deuce

On the passenger seat base there is a label with some instructions for raising and lowering the cab, and in those instructions it refers to hydraulic, but it also states some trucks were equipped with an air system as well. I think this truck had the air system. I was looking for anything that would raise the cab like a bottle jack or some kind of switch for actuating an air system, but we found nothing. It should be easier to find when the snow is gone, but I would feel alot more confident if somebody knows what and where I should look for it.

Thanks

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will bet big money that with the intake hose off the turbo is packed solid with mouse nest, and yes, they piss and crap where they sleep which will have corroded the interior of the turbo housing. Exhaust is open, if there is no drain hole at the bottom of the pipe the water will have gone all the way back up. I can't picture an air only lift on the cab, if you had a no start issue you would also have no air and then you could not get to the engine to work on it. Crawl around under there and find the lift cylinders and follow the lines back to whatever operates them. Could be someone stole the lift pump. The truck junkyard suggestion was a good one, you can look at other trucks to see how things go. With the things you have mentioned I would forget driving it home, just the mouse issue will cause problems. If you have an air line let go you could have a real interesting ride with a bobtail rig with locked brakes. Been there, done that, remember it like yesterdays bad dream!

Rick

preyn2

Rick has a good idea RE: find the lift cylinders and follow the hoses back. Be aware that the cylinders will probably be very near the pivot points at the front of the cab, and they might be surprisingly small. The "air lift" systems I've had experience with actually use air pressure to drive a hydraulic pump, and include a backup manual pump capability. In my experience, if the truck has been sitting a while, plan on pumping manually.

2deuce

I won't be back at the truck until after the spring thaw. There was a pack rat living on top of the engine, but he wasn't in the air intake. I will check the turbo before any start attempt, just to make sure it isn't acting like an exhaust plug. The exhaust was open to the weather, but at the low point of the exhaust there is a length of flexible exhaust pipe. I'm thinking this is not water tight and water would have seeped through it before it got high enough to reach the turbo. My main concern is raising the cab. I called the largest truck wrecking yard around here but they don't have any K100 Kenworth's. There are not many wrecking yards in this area. Possibly the pump was stolen because there are some disconnected lines under the passenger side cab. It doesn't seem like it would be a highly sought after part.