• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

kenworth coe k100

tcody

Another option that is a little $$$ is to have it towed to a local dealer and have them get it running. I did that with a COE I drove from CA to IL. Sure was nice to make sure everything was road worthy before taking off - but it did cost.

2deuce

I was thinking about that too. I might give it one shot at running with new batteries. That 500 mile distance doesn't lend itself to multiple attempts. I wish I knew more about the truck. I'm not even sure if it has a key or if it's 12v or being military possibly 24v.

tcody

I was thinking about that too. I might give it one shot at running with new batteries. That 500 mile distance doesn't lend itself to multiple attempts. I wish I knew more about the truck. I'm not even sure if it has a key or if it's 12v or being military possibly 24v.
Just take the VIN to the local KW dealer or call them. They can usually pull the build sheet and tell you about the truck. Also contact the local agent and ask if it has keys etc. They are usually very willing to help.

Bighurt

It's 12 volt, and I'd bet money it is a NTC-400.

2deuce

I found more info by calling Kenworth with the vin. The engine is a NTC 300 Big Cam. Transmission is an Allison HT754 crd. It has duel range 410/561 DTRT Eaton rears. It was originally bought by Boeing Aerospace. I checked the vin on another Kenworth k100 on GSA and it is identical. I'm curious how many were sold to Boeing in 1981. Being a 1981 the engine should be a Big Cam II, but I don't know specifically what that means.
Greg

Bighurt

TE's are NTC-400's I know that for sure. I would have bet money they used the same across the fleet, PT's, TE's and PMT/EMT MX Truck's. 300's a good motor as well.

Boeing configured the PT for use (which included the tractor), most is off the shelf, the APU which you don't have has some special features.

I suppose an Acronym dictionary is required;

PT = Payload Transporter
TE = Transport Erector
PMT = Periodic Maintenance Team
EMT = Electronic Maintenance Team

Bighurt

The auxiliary power unit (APU), is used for power on site. I believe it provides 208 volts three phase through a fairly unique channel plug. The PT trailer has a power cord that plugs into either facility power at the AS&I building or the APU. When loaded the trailer must be powered at all times, there are special requirements for the weapon and missile subsystems I can't get into.

The APU is a self-contained, a generator straped to the truck that feeds off the trucks fuel tanks. Which is why they are larger than the typical day cab truck.

There shouldn't be a PTU but there is a PTO for the HT754CRD, which I've been trying to find (same tranny in my M915A1). Not sure what the "CRD" changes. The HT754 is labeled as an Inner City Bus model. I'm fairly certain Allision uses a single case for all versions so you may have a PTO plate, but no PTO gear.

2deuce

I just talked to the caretaker of the truck and they haven't been able to locate the keys. I know many military trucks didn't have keys or they were like CUCV's and 1 key fit them all. Do you know what was the case with this k100 model? Kenworth does have a kit to re-key the ignition, doors and tool box but it is spendy.

Thanks,
Greg

Blind Driver

I just talked to the caretaker of the truck and they haven't been able to locate the keys. I know many military trucks didn't have keys or they were like CUCV's and 1 key fit them all. Do you know what was the case with this k100 model? Kenworth does have a kit to re-key the ignition, doors and tool box but it is spendy.

Thanks,
Greg
A good locksmith will probably be cheaper. I'll bet the ignition and door locks take the same key.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just jump the switch under the dash,, or pull the tumbler with a slide hammer and screw, then use a screw driver in the switch, steal the truck, replace the switch later

2deuce

Went to see the truck today. 20 hours driving, 3 hours there.
This truck is going to be alot of work. Rats had built a big nest on the engine, it had 1 battery still in it and I never could get it out, frozen solid, really iced in. Rats had chewed some wiring, but the real problem was I couldn't figure out how to release the cab. Maybe there needs to be air pressure, but I couldn't find the release, whether there is a pump or air. On the right side under the cab there were many air lines disconnected that might be related to operating the cab release.
Somebody had removed the connection from the air cleaner to the air intake on top of the engine so that needs to be removed and checked for contamination at the turbo.
The top of the exhaust stack was removed allowing water, snow and other debris down the exhaust pipe and that looked very rusty. Hopefully no water got up to the turbo and into the engine. The engine oil looked ok. I think I got in over my head on this one. Please advise. I need a manual too.

Thanks

Bighurt

This truck is going to be alot of work. Rats had built a big nest on the engine, it had 1 battery still in it and I never could get it out, frozen solid, really iced in. Rats had chewed some wiring, but the real problem was I couldn't figure out how to release the cab. Maybe there needs to be air pressure, but I couldn't find the release, whether there is a pump or air. On the right side under the cab there were many air lines disconnected that might be related to operating the cab release.
Somebody had removed the connection from the air cleaner to the air intake on top of the engine so that needs to be removed and checked for contamination at the turbo.
The top of the exhaust stack was removed allowing water, snow and other debris down the exhaust pipe and that looked very rusty. Hopefully no water got up to the turbo and into the engine. The engine oil looked ok. I think I got in over my head on this one. Please advise. I need a manual too.

Thanks
BMP uses T.O. 36-1-191, but that won't help.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks
Resurrecting her might not be as easy as you hoped, but it's simply a machine. With determination, "blood, sweat and tears", and of course: funding, you will :grd:

Hope you can see it through.

[thumbzup]

:jumpin::driver:

2deuce

I'm going to try to get it going. Certainly not going to give up. Before I get back to the truck I'm going to need to know how to raise the cab. So far that is a mystery. Hopefully somebody can enlighten me.

Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought, maybe a truck wrecking yard near where you live has one of these civi versions that you can study and pull parts from at your leisure. Good luck!

2deuce

This truck has 3700+hours on the meter, but only has 78K on the odometer. I was wondering if the hour meter runs if the APC that was on the truck at one time was in use. I saw where the thing was mounted and the location of a battery box. What was this thing? and what was it's intended use?

Thanks

Bighurt

Here's the thing on the APC it only runs the trailer, so the truck heater doesn't run. Technicians get cold so on site they most likely ran the APC as required for trailer power but the truck idled as well just to keep it warm and winter shelter.

You also have to remember speed limits are reduced so it takes longer to get there. Combined with the truck siting on site for 12-16 hrs, it's no wonder the high hours vs low mileage.

I can't think of any reason to roll back the odemeter and not the hour meter, but certain maintenance actions reset the clock.