• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kenworth PLS 8x8 Pics/Videos

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please send me a PM with the details on this truck. I would certainly be interested in its history and if it is available!
Sorry, I've had this picture saved on my hard drive for years, can't remember where it came from, or the story behind this truck.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the drool footage, James. That is one handy truck. I can only imagine the looks on people's faces when you roll up to the trail head and unload your buggy! You and Soni M920 need to get together and convoy!

M1075

So these trucks are now being surplussed out on GL and/or DRMO?
These were prototypes/test vehicles to compete against Oshkosh and M.A.N. for the PLS contract in the late eighties/early nineties. Kenworth (Paccar) made 8 and I'm sure they have all been surplussed out by now. I have 2 of them and always looking for more. They are great trucks! I really prefer them to my Oshkosh in many ways.

I can think of SO many things Id do with one of those and the assortment of pallet systems that come with it. I think something like that would be great for a fire department. Could switch rolls very quickly from say brush firefighting to industrial type firefighting to urban firefighting and rural water tanker duties.

drdstny

Banned
Found a pic of a beat-up Kenworth PLS on my computer last night. Here it is to share.
Yep, I took that picture and several other angles too. That's Dugway Proving Grounds, in Utah, where that truck and the M.A.N. I bought were competitors along with Lockheed and Oshkosh.

All that "damage" is cosmetic, for the most part. Stupid fiberglass.

I have lots of pictures of that truck and the M.A.N. I bought (very close number-wise stenciled on the door). Somewhere I have pictures of the fully-articulated Lockheed truck too. The Lockheed was in Fontana/Colton back in 2001, the Dugway trip was pre-9/11.

To the best of my knowledge, the #4 axle does not steer on the KW. Someone feel free to correct me, but I am fairly sure the only rear-steer axle is on the 5-axle LHS/PLTS variants.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks