• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keyed Ignition

Hello again everyone!

I recently removed the push-button ignition and put a universal keyed ignition in the Deuce. On the ignition there are hookups for:

Battery
Accessory
Ignition
Ground

There were only two wires hooked up to my push-button starter. I hooked them up to Ignition and Ground, and it starts up. The thing is, it doesn't start like a normal car - I turn the key to the on position until it starts, then back to the off position to turn off the starter. I can pull the key out of the truck while it's running. I understand this is similar operation to a push-button ignition, but do you think there is any way to get this to start up like a normal vehicle and leave it the key in the on position while it's running?

Thanks

davidkroberts

yeah i guess you could mount the keyed ignition above the push button where the circuit is broken until the key is in the on position when you are then able to push the ignition button. You would be just adding a keyed circuit breaker into the stock ignition circuit

Well you know what, now that I think about it, I may have the wires hooked up to ground and battery (on this universal starter, accessory is to the left); in which case I would just have to move the cable to ignition to get the proper operation.

asgtoolman

Check your wiring; the ignition terminal should supply momentary power when the key is turned to the max clockwise [working against the spring action of the switch] acting just like the push button. You will always be able to remove key after engine is running; you have to cut off the fuel supply no matter what to stop the engine.
You will be able to leave the key in the ON position after cranking but it won't be necessary or accomplish anything.
I have added keyed door locks and plan on adding keyed ignition for security also, but I may just put my switch ahead of the push button and use it to "break the circuit" only and use the ON position, not the ignition function of the key switch

Last edited:

area52

My very first deuce I won off of GL had a generic key ignition in place of the master switch. worked good for remembering to turn off the master when done for the day.

I just checked the wiring; one wire was going to "Ignition" and one wire was going to the ground. That seemed correct, but I tried swapping the ground cable to "Battery", but it still operated the same way.

Seems that I can't find the right wiring setup to achieve ignition like a normal vehicle - unless it's not possible with just the two wires. It's not that big of a deal, except that if I leave the key in the "on" position, it will keep cranking the starter indefinitely.

On a side note, I disconnected the low air pressure buzzer - a safety hazard, maybe, but I always let it build air pressure before I take off (and usually bleed the water vapor out of the tanks)

Sirblissfull

What happens when you spring an air leak while driving?

The buzzer is not just there to annoy you at start up its also a warning your brakes are about to fail and to pull over.

So yeah safety hazard to you and everyone on the road.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I realize the technical issue you are having is specific to your installation, but since there has been a substantial amount of discussion regarding keyed ignition switches over the years, I think I would have found the most relevant thread and added your question/issue to it. That way, in the future, when a member is researching keyed ignition switches and learning how to install one, s/he could read about your troubles and be prepared/see what not to do.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/59568-keyed-ignition.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/4058-mv-security.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/40224-deuce-security.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/13323-theft-prevention.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/29130-keys.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/20025-any-other-anti-theft-ideas-guys.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/16453-civy-ignition-switch.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/4442-suggestions-keyed-ignition-switch-my-new-deuce.html

What happens when you spring an air leak while driving?

The buzzer is not just there to annoy you at start up its also a warning your brakes are about to fail and to pull over.

So yeah safety hazard to you and everyone on the road.
Bingo.

Kohburn

your switch doesn't have a momentary "start" position? in order to make it do what you want you will either have to use it along with the push start or get a new key switch. I have one from a caterpiller and it has the momentary possition then flips back to "on" automaticly.

Kohburn, the ignition does have a momentary start position (against the spring like a normal vehicle) but I can't seem to get the wiring hooked up so it operates that way. I turn the key to the on position and the starter turns over, instead of turning the key all the way to the right, against the spring, like a normal vehicle. How do you have your wires hooked up?

Sirblissfull, that's a good point - I'll buy a switch for the buzzer. That way I won't have to hear the buzzer every time I start up the truck, but I'll still have the safety feature when I'm driving. It's another switch to flip, but it's worth it.

Kohburn

off the top of my head i believe I have 4 spots for wires. "battery", "on", "start" and "off"
each connection links the the "battery" terminal when the key is turned to it

when the key is off power flows from battery to off
when int he on possition it flows to the on terminal
etc.

I tested each terminal on my switch with a multimeter before installing, if you have a meter that would be the way to go.

dittle

So what happens when you forget to turn the switch on for the buzzer and you lose air going down the road. Bypassing any safety feature on a vehicle no matter how annoying that safety feature is is asking for trouble. I only hope that you don't get in an accident because if you do and its discovered during the investigation afterwards that you have safetys bypassed you're screwed. Anyone reading these threads about safety devices being bypassed can use that as ammunition against the hobby. So do us all a favor and put it back into operation without any sort of modifications.

asgtoolman

your switch doesn't have a momentary "start" position? in order to make it do what you want you will either have to use it along with the push start or get a new key switch. I have one from a caterpiller and it has the momentary possition then flips back to "on" automaticly.
Kohburn is correct; there should be a momentary "start" position that acts like pushing the original start button.

ALSO IF YOU DISCONNECT THE LOW AIR BUZZER, AT LEAST REPLACE IT WITH A LOW AIR WARNING LIGHT!!!!

It is easy to watch the air build when you first start the engine, but another thing to constantly be watching while you are driving to be assured you have not lost air pressure.

Warning lights for this purpose are readily available for $20.00 or so [usually on ebay] and EASY to install! Might save your life and that of an innocent victim.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what happens when you forget to turn the switch on for the buzzer and you lose air going down the road. Bypassing any safety feature on a vehicle no matter how annoying that safety feature is is asking for trouble. I only hope that you don't get in an accident because if you do and its discovered during the investigation afterwards that you have safetys bypassed you're screwed. Anyone reading these threads about safety devices being bypassed can use that as ammunition against the hobby. So do us all a favor and put it back into operation without any sort of modifications.
A lawyer would have a field day with that....

steelandcanvas

Sirblissful and Dittle have very good points and I am siding with them. Do not disconnect your low-air buzzer. Get out of the truck and do your pre-op walk around. Look at you tires, mirrors, fuel tank, check your batteries, do this while waiting for that annoying buzzer to shutup. You'd be a fool to even think you could always remember to throw that switch back on, after your air tanks were full. I not only have the buzzer, but a red light on the instrument cluster, just in case the buzzer ever failed. You don't want to lose air and not know it. Do you have any sort of Operator's Manual to go with your truck?

Last edited:

MuddinLove

He is correct, i am an automotive electrician by trade. If you are using the two wires that were on the back of the starter button, they should go to the batt and crank terminals of your switch. It doesnt even matter which way you hook it up for your purpose.

off the top of my head i believe I have 4 spots for wires. "battery", "on", "start" and "off"
each connection links the the "battery" terminal when the key is turned to it

when the key is off power flows from battery to off
when int he on possition it flows to the on terminal
etc.

I tested each terminal on my switch with a multimeter before installing, if you have a meter that would be the way to go.

Kohburn

based on the wiring schematic the wire 74 is from the battery and 74A is to the starter - should have the little metal numbers crimped to the wires.