• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KY recovery question (temp tags?)

stampy

After much run around by DMV here in NC (and never getting a straight answer I took my chances and drove mine home. The rest I have towed.

mckeeranger

Okay, new question for KY members: the local county clerk told me today I need to take a form to the "seller" (GL in this case) and have them sign and NOTARIZE the form showing what I paid for the vehicle. Otherwise they're going to collect taxes on the retail value.
That brings up an interesting question: What is the RETAIL VALUE of an M35A2? And, what is the TAXABLE VALUE?

southdave

That brings up an interesting question: What is the RETAIL VALUE of an M35A2? And, what is the TAXABLE VALUE?
whatever scrap value is ,as far as the tax man is concern. I guess If you had to you average the sale price from GL say 20 trucks and allowed for dreprec. over 5 years if you own a bussiness ect.. till it worth scrap value. that my plan and I am sticking to it.

JCKnife

I tried getting a Bill of Sale from GL as someone had suggested but even with that the county clerk said no way, temp tags are only for people who move to KY from out of state. Oh well. Waiting on SF-97.

In the meantime it looks like getting Historical plates is the way to go. Any KY members with experience with historical plates on your MV?

southdave

hate to say it but, you will have to wait for the title. accept that you are not in control of this ect.. and your energy will be best used elsewhere. It the goverment and thier contractor driving this boat. it will come eventully

JCKnife

Yeah, I'm not too worried. I have a ton of PM to tackle before I drive it any more, and it's too **** cold to tackle the PM yet! I'm just glad to have her in the driveway (now my wife, on the other hand...)

Hay Man

I tried getting a Bill of Sale from GL as someone had suggested but even with that the county clerk said no way, temp tags are only for people who move to KY from out of state. Oh well. Waiting on SF-97.

In the meantime it looks like getting Historical plates is the way to go. Any KY members with experience with historical plates on your MV?
As I recall, you don't have to pay Kentucky sales tax on the purchase price if you register it as a historic vehicle. However, I think there may be restrictions on use (e.g., parades, car shows, etc.). Your county clerk's office should be able to clarify both issues.

I opted to put farm tags on our deuce so I didn't run any risk, however slight, of being hassled about using it to haul farm-related items.

OldGoat

That's how I title my trucks.

mckeeranger

I opted to put farm tags on our deuce so I didn't run any risk, however slight, of being hassled about using it to haul farm-related items.
Same here. We have farm tags on our M817 and M35A2. It limits our loads on the M817, but not by much.

I think there is some distance limit on farm tags in other states, but the County Clerk told me I could drive ours anywhere I wanted, even out of state.

Did your CC inform you of any limits?

Brutusdog

I bought a M1009 in St. Louis, drove it home via Paducah, all the way across Western KY to Oldham county. Cops wave at MV's. Just keep your receipt and insurance card with you. I took it to the DMV in Pewee Valley this morning. The ladies there are EXTREMELY nice when they are not busy. They seemed to get a kick out of my truck. I would encourage you go there and ask for help, they won't commit info over the phone sometimes. If you don't have KY billing receipt, they call Frankfort and get a value. Then your sales tax will 6% of what Frankfort says its worth. Send me a PM, I would love to come see your truck! Are there many others out here in south Oldham County?

Buckeye2000

FWIW, I got a temp tag from the Ohio BMV with my paid in full invoice. I kept it in the truck with my proof of insurance and didn't have any trouble driving home.

number9

Hmmm....... so sounds like going with Historic or Farm plates would be good for the Deuce. What are the restircitions of each type plates? Do you have to prove you live / own a farm to get the farm plates?

JCKnife

Also my CC is giving me a big headache over having the "seller" fill out and notarize THEIR form RE sale price. They wouldn't accept a notarized Bill of Sale as valid for tax purposes. That's another big reason to go Historic plates. How did you farm truck guys handle the tax issue?

greenjeepster

County Clerks suck in this state.... I am shocked we don't have regular shootings in the clerks office considering how many people they PO on a daily basis.

They should follow the lead of other states and hand licensing and registrations over to the DMV.

I know Physicians who live and work here in Lexington, but have vacation homes out of state and use that address for their drivers license and car registrations in order to avoid the taxes and other issues here with the county clerks.

Last edited:

deathrowdave

I borrowed a dealer plate from a friend drove home and titled when I got info from GL. It will come with purchase price listed for taxable value. If you purchase a Historic Plate cost is $ 65.00 plus value tax . Tax for the following year was only $6.00 !!! Insurance much lower with Historic Plates also. Pm if you have any questions , I will help the best I can with this process for KY. Have a great and safe trip !!!!

mckeeranger

All of our trucks were screened, so we didn't pay sales tax. We are also a 501 (c) (3) non-profit, so we don't pay property tax. Sorry I can't help you with that.

As far as farm tags, we didn't have to prove up front that we were agricultural, but you have to sign an affidavit on the license receipt stating that it is for agricultural use. (We are educational/recreational agriculture and a tree farm) If they catch you using it for pretty much anything else, it's a fine, you have to surrender your plates (no refunds) and they ground your truck until you get it licensed properly. You would also have to pay any back taxes and interest. I don't' think it's worth it to try and fool them.

JCKnife

Ouch. We're thinking about getting some chickens but otherwise not really a farm. Historic plates are sounding better and better.

Hay Man

I think the 150 mile limit you mentioned relates to commercial driver license exceptions for trucks with farm tags. If your vehicle exceeds 26000 GVW you normally have to possess a CDL to operate it unless it's used for agrcultural purposes. But, there's a 150 mile operational limit. That's the only mileage limitation on farm tags that I know of.

Since a deuce is under the CDL limit, I wouldn't think there would be any problem.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks