• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lack of power

tankie88

Today while driving the motor slowly lost power.I had to limp home in low ratio.After standing for a while it started and revved ok for about 3 mins then lost power again.Could the fuel filter be blocked aint been changed since i've had the vehicle (2003)????

tourdog

fuel

yes . the fuel filter should be changed every oil change ( spelled fuel wrong in first reply) and the air filter as well .

Tanner

x3 on filter... Also, has the fuel been sitting in tank for a long time? I've had trouble in the past with algae in diesel fuel in my older Mercedes Benz diesel cars during hot months & prolonged sitting. Food for thought...

'Tanner'

tankie88

Right,i changed the diesel filter.Still no power.When i rev the motor,on the over run i get excessive smoke from both tailpipes.Not dark smoke but a light colour.I thought head gaskets but they can't both go at the same time????.I can't see any water in the oil .All lights and gauges working normal.Anyone any ideas??????

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there anything obstructing the air intake? remove and inspect the air filter?

Id drain the fuel, start with a fresh tank of diesel add some diesel kleen. and flush/purge the fuel lines for air and junk that may have accumulated. If that doesnt work, then id start pulling the ip and injectors to check them.

tankie88

I was starting to think along the lines of IP as well.A couple of weeks ago while driving the power would drop(only for a couple of mins) and then pick up again.That happened a couple of times but than run ok for a few days before losing power altogether.

flewbyu

Check to see if the fuel return nozzle on front of IP is clogged. Mine does it occassionally. Simple to remove with pliers (for clamp) and 9/16 wrench. There is a small glass bead in there that seems to get dirty and cause the loss of power. Some people have punched the bead out, but I hear that can lead to cold start problems...

3dubs

just look at the pink and green or blue wires. you will see a rubber fuel line attached to the top of the IP. Remove the fuel line (it is the fuel return line) pliers for the clamp. Then I forget what size but a deep well metric socket or wrench and take the nipple that the fuel return line was attached to off. Look through it with light behind it. Ine way is easier than the other. There is a glass ball inside. Then have fun with carb cleaner, toothpicks, compressed air, or whatever you have to get it clean. The only hard part is knowing when it is clean. But it is cheap. Some genius on here told me to clean it and it made a huge difference.

3dubs

Maybe the seals around your piston has a few worn spots letting some of the air and fuel escape.
If there is smoke coming out of the oil when it warms up then it is blow-by. Use something like lucas in your oil to keep everything clean. When it gets too bad you have to pull the engine and replace the rings. I just did it and there are worse things but keeping it runng is much easier.

Somemedic

If you run a search for the return fuel line in the cucv forum someone posted a pic of it. Might have to sort through since its been covered but it is a common topic.

While youre at it....

look in the motor valley and see if theres a puddle of fuel sitting there. If there is you may have a leaky injector line. Otherwise buy a for sale sign or get ready for an IP rebuild. Im guessing thats whats wrong here. I used to carry a can of carb cleaner with a straw and a piece of wire while I was driving it and saving money up for an IP rebuild. Dont break the bead out of the return nozzle, it will complicate things later on.

tankie88

Right chaps,thanks for all the info.Having a 3rd attempt at cleaning the return valve.It is getting better with every clean.Looking with the light behind it and a opticians eyeglass i can see all the hardend stuff stuck on the glass bead(like a fine film of gunge).Next ?? is there any point of putting suff like Redex in the tank now and again??.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks