• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ladder

willysmd

HI

Has anyone on here got some plans for making a ladder to get into the loadbed, the original ladders over here are way to expensive to buy if you can find one, so I thought you guys being good might have your own plans that you might pass on. :D

houdel

Actually, if you get a short aluminum stepladder, say 6' or so, and create some sort of hooking arrangement so the top does not slip, I suspect that would be entirely satisfactory for what you want to do, and a light lighter than the stock boarding ladder.

willysmd

Thats a good idea and possibly the easiest way to go, thanks Lee this is why I ask these questions you get answers cheers

willysmd

jkelly66 said:
rofl Mike maybe you could make it swing somehow. Here is a pic of an Army issue one if you need I wilol take closer pics of it and give you all dementions.
John
Could you do that for me please I was thinking of trying to make one swing as you lower the tailgate and when in the up position lock it in position with an R clip or something, if I could get the dimensions of yourself that would be great.

jkelly66

OK here are the dementions of the ladder steps are 15 and 3/4 inches long by 6 inches 3/4 wide rails are 5 FT. 1/2 inches long and 5 inch and 1/2 wide. Here are some closer pics hope this helps
John

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
colyork said:
If you go with the aluminiun ladder don't forget to take it of when you back up,don't ask :oops:
Same applies with steel ladders. Thats why one of the doors on my M447 is different.

willysmd

bigbee said:
In Dave Doyle's article on the M211 series in AM, he mentions the tailgates on those trucks have a step that swings down automatically when the tailgate is lowered. That might work on the drop side, or on the tailgate, either one.
Now that sounds interesting, is it posted on here anywhere by any chance??

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a 5FT aluminum stepladder, keeping it folded, and set the tailgate to the flat (porch) position with the chains. Then the ladder rests against the edge of the gate with one of the tailgate handles slightly protruding through the ladder. I fasten it there. now there is a nice set of steps to walk up to the bed.