• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

larger tires on 816 or not

catskillpond

Junk yard called me today he had military tires come in 10 of them. Went down to look they were the super singles as you guys call them bolt pattern was right but did not take them asked him to save them. Im thinking larger tire big loss of power climbing hills in our area low range gets 50% use. Ole Girty needs all the power she can get when she hits a hill. Flat run she is a 68mph champ so any thoughts its a 1972 dont know if they changed transmission or clutch in later models to handle bigger tires Thanks Scott

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In fact I know some 816 owners that large on there truck then after a while took them back off, large tires are power robbers, the almost 36,000 lb 816 needs ALL the power it can get with that carp trans.

dmetalmiki

68.MPH!? Curious to know what tires you are running at the moment. Standard 1100 or 1200? It would seem you are running (quite!) a few revolutions OVER the engine destruction speed.

Dan2001qx4

Banned
The usmc use m816s with 14r20 on them while in service. 14r20s make my m818 deuce bed cargo truck will run 65 to 68 with 14r20s pulling my mkt and m105 camper all day long just fine even up hill in 5 gear, granted a m816 weighs about the same empty as me all hooked up.

m818 cargo + mkt + m105a2 = m816

Just saying.

Attachments

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MVM had a article a year or two ago on a M816 with 14:00/20 and CTIS. It came from the military like that apparently.

catskillpond

We ran 12 wreckers in Germany Pershing Missile units we got just about 60 mph as far as rpm not over normal. We first had quite of few of the gassers then some 543a2 when the 816s came that was the icing on the cake they were fairly new and had few problems Hydrovacs went on them regularly. Also front inner axle seals which they upgraded we could never get them out with a slide hammer, we took both axles out and drove them out with a camouflage pole used for the nets. Thanks Scott