• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Latest addition to the family

wsucougarx

Truck is for sale, however buyer needs to pickup at FT Lewis.

I've been getting a few questions on the my latest acquisition. Here are some pics of the newest addition to our family:-D She is a 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 rebuilt in 1990 at Toole Army Depot. Her entire life was spend with the 133rd Washington National Guard Band at Camp Murray, Washington. Not much of a history truck as it probably sat most of her life. She has a mere 4,910 miles and 300.5 hours on her. Since JAN99, this truck has only been driven 77 miles. That is only 77 miles in the last 9 years. Which probably means the oil hasn't been changed. But probably has because of the mandatory oil analysis of these trucks. She has a canvas cargo cover and canvas curtain ends (soon to be replaced w/a 3 color vinyl hopefully). She also has a "D" turbo and Continental "D" engine w/heater, solargizer, airshift front axle, and older box seat (soon to be replaced w/a spring seat hopefully). I'm pretty happy w/this acquisition, however I did pay a bit more than I had originally wanted. But taking the low mileage/hours, the fact that it belonged to a non-combat unit (less abuse I hope), and a 4 hour pre-bidding inspection made an exception in this case. Hopefully everything works and drives on this truck. As always, not allowed to start or test drive. Would have started her up and do my usual drive 2ft forward and 2 ft back but battery didn't have enough juice to turn her over. But oh well, my search is now over for the CARC'd truck. Now I need to get another winch kit:-D Just so happens I know where one is:razz:. I will definately post the recovery story and pics when that time comes.
Looks like someone made off with the dashlight covers. This truck was previously won in June or July (as well as the other truck in the pic to the same person). It took until November for GL to relist it. Front tires are new, and the others are newer however one of the duals is flat. I'm pretty excited about the recovery.

Anyone local want to trade the canvas cargo cover & canvas end curtains for a 3 color vinyl camo one?

Oh BTW the truck in the foreground went for around $4500-4700 after fees etc. Anyone in here get that truck w/w?

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

I was pretty happy with it. The drivetrain is spottless. I didn't see any rust of anykind, except in the usual spot...under the battery box. Fluids were all checked and were good to go.

Hammer

Ah, so YOU got that one.
I bowed out earlier on in the bidding with a good hunch they were going to sell fairly high. Both of those trucks looked NICE!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Oh BTW the truck in the foreground went for around $4500-4700 after fees etc. Anyone in here get that truck w/w? Judging by this high prices is this the end of the deuces? I've heard that our next president is going to be slicing the military budget so all remaining truck will remain w/NG units? Any truth to this?

Short version: No truth to this rumor at all.

Long version: It's been mentioned on here numerous times from folks that are in "The Know". The NG and AR are getting rid of their A2 deuces and will have all of them turned in by Oct 2009. The Army is not budgeting for parts or support for the M35's. There will be several more large lots coming down the pike.

This change in vehicle fleet will not be affected by Jan 20th. The incoming administration (no matter who it is) lives with the previous administrations budget until October 1st. The NG and AR are committed to rid their fleets of 800 series 5 tons, any 900 series not up to A2 standards, M35A2's, and CUCV's by October 1st. This was based on decisions made several years ago and not based on the outcome of the election.

For years units have reported vehicles, people, and equipment that was old, not there, or broken. Since the AR and NG are now getting called out on a regular basis, the new think is to standardize to save money even to the point of doing without. In the past they tried to cover up shortages and issues as a sign of weakness. The new think is to report it so you get money or assets to fix it. Now there is even greater urgency since the military (especially AR and NG) will not get anything new for the next 8 years but hopefully it is only 4 (wish it were a bad dream). Bottom line is "Git rid of grand-dads ole duece!".

How many dueces are left? Would you believe CARNAC if I were to say there are still over 7000 trucks awaiting turn-in beginning with the old 2320-00 in their NSN. I can't remember when the military switched to newer 2320-01 but I think it was around 1972. Just cargo deuces (not includeing 109 vans, water trucks etc) make up well over 2000 of this number. This also does not include the M35A3 nor the 900 series 5tons which are also directed to be turned in but will probably be around until 2011 or 2014.

For comparision purposes, there are still slightly over 4000 CUCVs of all types awaiting turn in. This number does not include those used as base maintenance and administration vehicles. All these numbers were as of September 30th but should still be close.

I am suspecting the limited turn-ins are more workload related than the lack of trucks. It takes a lot of work to turn vehicles in. They have to make it to DRMO somehow and if its driving you need drivers and need to pay them. If it is by tractor trailer then you have to pay for that. I am being told the overtime was not as plentiful at the end of the last fiscal year and still so now. I am also being told the additional work days for the reservists that were available for the last several years were taken back at the end of the fiscal year and not to plan any for this year. Turn-ins are only important when the IG comes to inspect and even then it is low in priority.

Finally, let's not forget the folks that have a vested interest in keeping prices high. DRMO, GL, and vehicle brokers want the individual to pay through the nose. Rumors will definately make the prices go up. Do I want a deuce? Yes. Do I plan on buying one within the next year? Yes but maybe not from GL. Do I feel I need to get one tomorrow? No. I'd set your must buy date for not later than Jan 2010 if from GL. Don';t forget you still have those on the GSA site and many fire depts are going to snatch up the A3's so they will have A2's being displaced.

So, does this make it a little more clearer.

wsucougarx

Excellent all knowning CARNAC, thanks for the insights....hmmm, do I hear deuce #4?:p I must find more land, yes more land indeed for more deuces:wink:

Hammer

MY avatar would have looked better with those last two trucks ;)

I will wait and be patient though, more are coming. ;)

wingnut24

i think i may have a spot for one of your deuses that could be in you way :-D.
i'm hoping to trade off my 4runner to start saving up for a deuse or a 5ton.
is there anyplace around portland to find these trucks? where are these goverment lots at?

wsucougarx

As far as Oregon, the main office to deal with is FT Lewis, Washington. They are in charge of the 3 or 4 yards in Oregon for GL auctions. I got my last deuce in Clackamas at Camp Withycombe. There are 2 more yards near the Portland Airport. I think they are both NG armory sites. I don't have the names right now but I know Camp Withycombe. The soldiers at Camp Withycombe informed me that they do not expect to see any deuces coming up. In fact no deuces can be seen there. They do have a ton of M105A2's that are destined for FT Lewis.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Nice truck Mike! I hope your wife enjoys her new ride :)
Thanks Chris, yah kind of funny about the whole thing. She really did want a deuce after all. I thought she was kidding but after the big windstorm we had here in DEC07, she didn't like the idea of not being able to drive anywhere b/c of all the downed trees etc. :razz: She's thinking survival:)

mbwarner

Well done, WSU. I was in love with your paint job.

As to availability of trucks--I hope Carnac is right. That said, the turning in of trucks, and the availability of those trucks to citizens, are not necessarily related.

We could be only an executive order away from demilling trucks. Remember M151s? Remember grinding up M1 rifles in a machine called Captain Crunch, so that even the stocks and handguards were destroyed?

We'll all need to pay attention to the political side of this hobby/disease/business. Will large commercial truck dealers lobby to have individual sales end? You betcha.

wsucougarx

Exactly what I was thinking, that's kind of why I opted to pay a little bit more to ensure I get this last one. I've checked with several Nat'l Guard units around here and not one of them has deuces in their inventories. However Camp Murray does have a couple M35A3's in their motorpool. The guys at Withycombe are the main supply base for Oregon Nat'l Guard units and taking their old stuff. Guys there say no more deuces are left with their Nat'l Guard units. So it appears Oregon deuces are dried up as well as Washington State (at least locally). So I'm not sure where these 7k deuces are hiding. Is there a huge depot where the Army is storing them?

maybefixit

I'm gonna stick my neck out and presume that if the fence doesn't obscure it, it's not wrong to discuss it.

Now that I've been viewing this site, I have a better idea of what's down the road. There's an armory in Hamilton that has some Deuces in its inventory. A lot of their gear is visible from the road. There's a few -A3's in there and at least one shop van, at least one wrecker, plus some A2's when I count noses / tails. If Carnac is saying 7,000 and we spread that number around, then being down to smaller armories in smaller cities makes sense. Taking 7,000 and dividing by 50 gives only 140 in each state. If 70% of those (roughly 2 out of 3) are in what we'd call good condition that's 100 desirables per state. Probably not a mistake to raise the Deuce budget a notch on the list.
Good news is, if there isn't a recall, it's one vehicle purchase that's likely to appreciate in the next five years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks