• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS turbo on LD engine

tco3129

Have been searching with no luck for putting a turbo off a 5 ton on my LD M35A2.(Hope I didn't just overlook the thread) Has anyone done this? Will all the parts be available from the 5 ton? Will I have to swap the intake and exhaust manifolds? Don't know what series turbo it is but it is larger than my D turbo on my A2C LDT.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably won't clear the starter. Exhaust will need mods too. Many 5 tons were retroes with deuce turbos. Might be happier in the long run selling it to a 5 ton guy. I have the parts to add a turbo to your LD (sans exhaust)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Someone on here just had a thread about putting a 5ton turbo on a deuce. Seemed it cleared everything fine, but the turbo was bad and he had to swap it out. No, you shouldn't have to swap the manifolds, but you might have to clock the starter so the blow off valve doesen't interfere with the starter solenoid.

tco3129

I had read that thread. I think his engine was an LDT to begin with so he may have already had many of the parts. I guess the best thing for me to do is climb up on the 5 ton with either a set of calipers and notepad or a handful of wrenches and a can of panther piss and start yanking parts.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Basicly, all you will need is the intake horn to match the turbo's output, the different(turbo version) slobber tube, turbo(with gasket to manifold, oil supply tube, & oil drain tube), and the turbo exhaust. Let me know if you have trouble finding those parts, I might have some of them.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
And you'll want to re-time the engine as the LD engines had a more advance timing. Unless you like popping head gaskets.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Actually it's retard the pump timing. The LD engines had more timing. Honestly you probably could get away with bumping it up to the middle or even top mark (LD). But I wouldn't want to load it down or tow another truck with it advanced that much. Timing affects cyl pressure as well. Too much timing = too much cyl pressure. Seems that given the head gaskets or rods are the weak link in these engines, one would give if you worked it hard enough. (IEL Beat it like a rented mule)

tco3129

The LD is in my bobber with stock 9.00x20 ndts. It runs smooth but lacks power. My M35a2c has the D turbo and will flat out pull the bobber on any and all the hills around here tho it weighs roughly 3500 lbs more. Thought adding the turbo from my 5 ton parts truck might help things. Both my trucks are daily drivers with the same fuel mix. The bobber gets me around but not nearly as well as the fullsize.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or if you wanted to swap turbos I have a nice D turbo I'd trade for the LDS one, as I have an LDS motor that doesn't have the right turbo on it...

KaiserM109

And you'll want to re-time the engine as the LD engines had a more advance timing. Unless you like popping head gaskets.

The springs in the governor are different, too and the LDT has a “droop screw” that the LD doesn’t. You can just put in a allenhead machine screw. See the TM that you can download from this site.

I’ve been contemplating a change like that on my ’66 M109 if I don’t scrape up the change to just get a newer truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks