• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS VS LDT and the real differences

rustystud

I was commenting regarding the use of the lighter tractor crankshaft. It would stand to reason that it would be at least slightly visibly lighter. As far as the material is concerned I know you can't tell the difference by just looking at them.
Not if there where made to the same spec's. They would physically look the same, just made out of different materials. JasonS just made a assumption that they would be heavier. He was probably referring to being heavier duty. Right JasonS ?

Csm Davis

I love this thread and a few others on here and a couple different forums, I learned about the different cams for HP in diesel mechanics 30 years ago and most of the guys playing with diesels today have no clue about what hard parts to change to get better proformance all they know is chips and external parts. Yes you can get good HP out of old iron but you have to go about it differently than a lot of these kids have learned how today.

Jeepsinker

Well yeah, it doesn't matter what Kind of chip you have, if the engine can't breathe well (cam) it isn't going to make good power. I'm certain that a good cam is key to making power with our engines, and the reason the cam is ground the way it is is to affect good fuel economy. Simply put you can't have power and mileage with the same cam unless you get into variable valve timing and all that electronic junk.

And remember Jeff, I am one of "Those kids" but I've seen the problems associated with "modern engineering and electronics" and I've gone the other way. I like my manual everything. It works every time.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Four hundred Eighty three posts.....................
"What is the best-est",
Just want to drive, Let us find a place to race,
no mud, no hills, no trailers, no BS
What is the best time 1/4 mile with 2 1/2 tons in the back?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the best time 1/4 mile with 2 1/2 tons in the back?
You don't want to know.. in a quarter mile you don't have enough pavement to top out unloaded. rofl

Source: Did a few drag races with the deuce at the Texas Motor Speedway two years ago in the diesel class. Came dead last but was allowed to proceed through the rounds being the crowd favorite.

JasonS

Not if there where made to the same spec's. They would physically look the same, just made out of different materials. JasonS just made a assumption that they would be heavier. He was probably referring to being heavier duty. Right JasonS ?
I interpreted the tractor post that there was a visible difference. There is a guy about a hour from where I grew up who parted out maybe a hundred deuces and disassembled many multifuels. I was discussing the crank issue with an old friend today. One time when visiting this dismantler, my friend was shown that there, in fact, different styles of cranks used in the multifuel. Some heavier duty, some with different number of counterweights. I have no idea what crank was used where. However, crank failures seem to be far rarer than rod failures (12 bolt rod bolts fix this) and we are pushing less than 200 HP. Seems like we should be OK.

JasonS

There are portable tools which can identify different alloys. One could remove the balancer to obtain access to the crankshaft if really curious. I haven't been able to find anything on a 1548 alloy; wondering if the numbers are transposed. Taylor's book only recommends 4140 or 4340 for diesel crankshafts......

Jeepsinker

But these motors weren't exactly designed with longevity in mind either in this application. And a subpar alloy does make sense as to why so many broken cranks would come up.

rustystud

Thanks for the information Frank. I didn't think Tracey was giving me bad information. As far as other cranks used Tracey did mention two. I have to look up the one from my previous notes. There was also a heavier duty block made in the late 70's, but I don't remember all the particulars . It had to do with the back of the block failing, or something along those lines. I'll have to get in touch with Tracey again.

Looked up my notes and found out that the really good crank has the " 8 counterweights" on the crank.

Last edited:

JasonS

But these motors weren't exactly designed with longevity in mind either in this application. And a subpar alloy does make sense as to why so many broken cranks would come up.
I have read about quite a few broken rods; can't remember many broken cranks?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a busted crank in my M62's original(to me) multifuel. It is blue near the crack, so I think it was a lack of oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks