• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS VS LDT and the real differences

rustystud

I'm not sure I would call him wrong until I've seen it for myself...
True, I was just going on his description of the emblem. Though I have been researching this for a few days now and have found no evidence that any Deuce parts where foreign made. I know M.A.N. developed this engine in the late 1950's but they sold the rights to produce it to "Continental" so that means they could not produce any parts without Continental's permission. Since all military parts had to be manufactured in the U.S. according to Congress then I see no way they could have been manufactured by M.A.N. . Today almost any part for the military can be made anywhere ! I cannot remember the exact date (somewhere in the 1990's) that Congress passed that law, but I feel that was an extreme mistake.

Jeepsinker

Right, and these trucks were in service through the 90's and up into 2010 in some units. Those trucks would still need replacement parts, and upgraded versions of those parts ( in the case of the heads). Remember, we still haven't found any literature on that LDS 465-4 that a member posted some pics of either, but we all saw it sitting there.

rustystud

Right, and these trucks were in service through the 90's and up into 2010 in some units. Those trucks would still need replacement parts, and upgraded versions of those parts ( in the case of the heads). Remember, we still haven't found any literature on that LDS 465-4 that a member posted some pics of either, but we all saw it sitting there.
Valid point there Garrett. By the way, do you know the post where that picture of the LDS 465-4 is ?

JasonS

True, I was just going on his description of the emblem. Though I have been researching this for a few days now and have found no evidence that any Deuce parts where foreign made. I know M.A.N. developed this engine in the late 1950's but they sold the rights to produce it to "Continental" so that means they could not produce any parts without Continental's permission. Since all military parts had to be manufactured in the U.S. according to Congress then I see no way they could have been manufactured by M.A.N. . Today almost any part for the military can be made anywhere ! I cannot remember the exact date (somewhere in the 1990's) that Congress passed that law, but I feel that was an extreme mistake.
Hi Rusty,

Continental only licensed the "M" combustion chamber; the balance of the engine is all Continental design. If you compare it to Continental's other engines such as the R6602, you will see that it shares MANY features.

I have one of the new heads on the shelf and the shield emblem doesn't match MAN's emblem at all. The idea is interesting but, I agree that there is zero evidence to support that MAN built any engine parts.

rustystud

Hi Rusty,

Continental only licensed the "M" combustion chamber; the balance of the engine is all Continental design. If you compare it to Continental's other engines such as the R6602, you will see that it shares MANY features.

I have one of the new heads on the shelf and the shield emblem doesn't match MAN's emblem at all. The idea is interesting but, I agree that there is zero evidence to support that MAN built any engine parts.

That's pretty much what I figured too. I'd forgotten about the licensing only the "combustion" part of the multifuel. It's good to get the correct information out there every now and then.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I just spent an hour searching and I couldn't find it either. I hope it didn't get deleted.

Even searching on Google images, the pics from the thread don't come up.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

It could be under the conversation forum, but I'm not searching anot almost 600 page forum for something posted a year ago if it won't come up with the search bar. We all know we saw it though, not like it doesn't exist.

brianp454

There's an open eBay auction with the R6602 engine. It's like they took the same or very similar block and re-spun it as a gasser with a single head, added distributor, etc. There's also some manuals for that engine on eBay. I could scan (to pdf) one for anyone that cannot.

I've never heard of an LDS-465-3 or 4. I know thee was development for future multifuels, but don't know if they became a reality. Can anyone point me to info on them?

Jeepsinker

We can't find any info on them. All we know is that a member posted some pics of a -4 that was laying in a scrapyard once and we all drooled over it, but I don't think anyone ever went and got it.

Jeepsinker

Serial number there is 171. So there were more than a couple of them. Maybe you could search the part number on that data plate, since it is legible.

Part# 594925, or is that last digit a 6? Looks like a 5.

ShawnIfert

I have the photos of my engine ldt 465 d with M.A.N on the tag and the casting mark. The tag is new but it is the same as the one that was on my engine. My engine is dated 1989. I put the LDS injection pump and injectors in today so now my ldt is an LDS now. It runs grea
image.jpgimage.jpg