• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leak help, please. Tranny?

Monkeyboyarmy

There are two o-rings on the throttle shaft.One on each side where it seals to the pump housing.The throttle shaft goes completely through the housing to actuate the ramp for timing? on the passenger side.Its been a couple of years since I've done one but you need to remove the 3 screws on the top cover.Remove the ramp plate on the passenger side (put a mark on it so it will be installed in the same position).In the middle of the throttle shaft,there is a flat cut into the shaft that moves the spring to apply pressure to the governor.There is an socket headed screw that holds this spring in place.You need to remove that screw so that the spring will move out of the way to get the throttle shaft out.Replace both o-rings and re-assemble.I have a pack of o-rings.It is not hard to do,but special attention is necessary to re-assemble in the correct way so that the governor and throttle work properly.Hate to see a good engine go BOOM.

HardCorps79

Alright- I think we're gonna solve this problem! Because the leak is coming off the high side, dripping from the throttle shaft (I believe), I'm 90% sure it's the o-rings. Found a Stanadyne repair shop locally (using Stanadyne's search feature)- he's a good ol' boy. He has the o-rings for free, so I'm gonna give it a go. If I get in over my head he said he'll do the repair for $50 in an afternoon (if I bring in the IP- not mounted in the vehicle). He charges $380 for a complete rebuild and does them for the Nat'l Guard in Jefferson City (where I got my truck!)- seems a little high, but it's just down the road so the convenience may be worth the extra money. Or I could buy a take-off to swap out.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

HardCorps79

The name of the shop is Northeast Diesel Service. NE Diesel

I went to the guy in Blue Springs, MO. He actually pulled out a 6.2 IP he was working on and gave me a step-by-step on how to change the o-rings on the throttle shaft, then came out to take a look at the truck. Said the IP looks decent and the o-ring should fix the issue. I'd highly recommend this place. When the IP finally kicks the bucket, I'll know where to go.