• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking fuel tank, hard start and stall on m1028

cucvrus

I have the new Delphi replacement, I will update here and there to make life easier and help with future builds
You have the right one. AC Delco does not make the pumps anymore. Delhi is the new name. You can do a bit more work and make the job a bit easier. I have been removing the right alternator and front bracket to get to the fuel pumps. I can change one in under and hour start t finish this way. And I don't need to wear a face shield while doing it. The only 2 bolts I have to go under for are the 2 M6 bolts on the cover plate. That is just a little helper tip. Do it as you want. I do mine while in the driveway. Usually pick a day its snowing bad or raining. Increases the challenge that way. No not really but it seems that way. Good luck. Get the right pump the first time Delphi HFP906 is the correct pump. Many places have AMF0030 listed as the correct pump. Trust me it will not work. Below is an email I received from Delphi. I hope it helps. I done the job 3 different times with the wrong pump from 3 different places. Good Luck.

Thank You for contacting Delphi.

Based on the information provided you are looking for Delphi diesel lift pump HFP906 (Autozone CHFP906).

Regards,

Customer Support
Delphi Product & Service Solutions

Truckyea

Thanks cucvrus, correct that is the pump I got. $28 from summit.
If this pump fixes my problems, than after a bit I may go back and tinker with Clockable gas pump with screw in fittings. Just because the feed line going back and around the way is does is supper annoying

Truckyea

Weirdest thing, before I tried to start it, I disconnected the pink power wire to ip and opened my purge valve. It started.
I quickly shut her down and closed the valve and reconnected the pink wire.
It started, ran for 2 mins and died.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your old 6.2 Engine was J Code CUCV.
The new one is 6.5 Engine ....?
You use the old IP?
The new 6.5 was a civi model ?
You use the old intake manifold from the 6.2 or from the 6.5 ?
Maybe it has an EGR valve?
Im no mechanic, I'm trying to give only food for thought

Truckyea

The new 6.5 is turbo diesel.
The only things I switched over was the v belt set up and accessories, the starter, all the sensors, the tps to vac, the mech vac pump, and the fuel return line.

I also switched the ip solenoid after this issue a raised.

That and I replaced the driver side alt with a rebuilt one from here, do to me loosening the the 12v lug out to far on accident.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the engine went out, you can start it again without any problems?
Again, i'm no mechanic.
I only hope that somebody find some usefull, new info to solve the problem.

Truckyea

This all seems like a loss of prime problem.
But with the truck starting even with the pink wire disconnected from the ignition pump. I'm stumped

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this, but it's mostly known.
The only trick I haven't tried is to run my lift pump directly from a 5 gal diesel can.
I'm going to the part store here shortly get a can for diesel, and giving it a go.

From what I read if she runs, it's getting air in the system on the suction side "before the pump".

And if I have the same symptoms, I'm having issues on the return side, or maybe the feed hose to the injector pump from the filter.
Have you tested to run the Engine with 5gal Diesel can?

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What Happens when you connect the pink wire during the Engine idles?
The fact that it takes 30 or more minutes to Start the engine again sounds to me something must relieve pressure or some solenoid or sensor must cool down.
Maybe there is not enough air and it dies.
Are the air lines free ( intake, turbo, airfilter, exhaust system )?
Are the fuel return line free?

Truckyea

All my air/fuel connect are free flowing.

From what I understand, it should not run without the hot wire hooked up.

I'm wondering if it's my shut off Solenoid