• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED backup light and LED Rear Fog Light.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since June, my father and I have been restoring a M35A2. I have seen posts on here about people adding backup lights for visibility backing up at night. I decided to use LED lights for the better light quality and less draw on the alternator. I used a 27 Watt off road light from superbrightleds. Its very bright. Heavy duty. Water and shock proof. Its a 5.5 inch lense and a 30 degree angle. I wired it to a 24 volt switch in the cab with a blue LED indicator. It shines enough light to be seen from both mirrors on the truck. And it matches the LED brake lights and headlights. I also decided to add a REAR fog light. A lot of people go with dual backups. I knew this would be over kill especially with LEDs. I went with an Amber LED off road light from Northern Tool. It was the only round amber LED light I could find. Its only a 4 inch light but the amber really cuts through in bad weather. Its wired to an Amber LED 24 volt switch in the cab. I plan on using the light in fog or heavy rain and snow. The light shines back to alert people of the vehicle in front of them especially moving at a slow speed. The backup light is 2250 lumens the fog light is 1350 lumens.

Attachments

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both lights are in the same location. The back up light is larger so it looks like it sits lower.

ATPTac

I was just talking to my wife about putting back up lights on our Deuce... I like the idea of having two of them, one of which being amber. That's a good idea that I think I just might have to do myself. Thanks!

I want to replace my brake lights and turn signals with LED's first though, still trying to find some for a good price, not sure what to search for though, haven't really gotten that far yet.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just talking to my wife about putting back up lights on our Deuce... I like the idea of having two of them, one of which being amber. That's a good idea that I think I just might have to do myself. Thanks! I want to replace my brake lights and turn signals with LED's first though, still trying to find some for a good price, not sure what to search for though, haven't really gotten that far yet.
Thank you. It works very nicely. Stick with LEDs. Its more expensive but they last and have a great look. I have all LEDs for lights except turn signals. They are next. They make the truck look more aggressive. At least Thats my take. But they also draw less current which is a benefit.

welldigger

Thank you. It works very nicely. Stick with LEDs. Its more expensive but they last and have a great look. I have all LEDs for lights except turn signals. They are next. They make the truck look more aggressive. At least Thats my take. But they also draw less current which is a benefit.
Run a ground back to the battery if you use trucklite led turn signals. 3 out of 4 on my truck died due to bad grounds. The leds come with a ground wire so take the extra step.

I like your set up. Back up lights is a mod I definitely have on the list.

welldigger

You can. They intended them to be grounded to the mounting bracket. I only suggest running the ground to the battery because the trucklite omnivolts seem to be very sensitive to bad grounds. I'm sure on my truck it was more of a fluke than anything but as expensive as those things are if I ever go back with them I'm not taking the chance. Your mileage may vary.

quickfarms

If you ground them to a bolt make sure the metal is clean and there is a direct clean ground path back to the battery. Make sure all of the ground straps are there. LED's tend to be more suspect able to ground issues due to the significantly reduced amperage that can not jump a questionable ground path.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There might be a problem with AMBER on the rear, only red is supossed to be on the rear, in some states you will get a ticket for amber on the rear

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There might be a problem with AMBER on the rear, only red is supossed to be on the rear, in some states you will get a ticket for amber on the rear
... Yes, what Ron said. Rear fog lights are red and as bright as brake lights. A solid amber light on the rear means (1st) OVERSIZE, flashing amber means bigger (2nd) OVERSIZE or a slow hazard. (Not including European style amber turn signals)...

ATPTac

Amber tail lights are completely legal in some states. In North Carolina red or amber lights can be used in the rear of a vehicle for running lights or brake lights, you just can't have any white rear facing lights except for reverse lights. I know this because I have an inspection license in NC. Now I can't speak for other states obviously.

Last edited:

peashooter

Run a ground back to the battery if you use trucklite led turn signals. 3 out of 4 on my truck died due to bad grounds. The leds come with a ground wire so take the extra step.

I like your set up. Back up lights is a mod I definitely have on the list.
Welldigger, when you say the lights died due to bad grounds...does that mean permanently? Or did they just quit working until you ran a good ground wire?

also HERE is a reverse / backup light switch kit you can purchase or copy so the lights come on automatically when shifted into reverse (on A2 trucks)

Last edited:

welldigger

Welldigger, when you say the lights died due to bad grounds...does that mean permanently? Or did they just quit working until you ran a good ground wire?

also HERE is a reverse / backup light switch kit you can purchase or copy so the lights come on automatically when shifted into reverse (on A2 trucks)
Dead as in buy a new one cause you can't fix the dang things. I gutted one to try. As far as I can tell when they go its time for a new one.

I went back with regular lights cause $180 a pop is absurd.

Last edited:

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amber also means caution and will not be used continuously. In fact, many trucks and vehicles have amber lights for turn signals instead of red. Secondly, it will only be used when there is nasty weather. Whether it be a snow storm or heavy fog. If an officer wants to pull me over in the middle of either of those two situations on a major highway and risk himself being in danger, he is more than welcome to. It's for safety. If I had wired it up so that it turned on with the brake lights I think it would be more of an issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks