• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Head light upgrade. ....

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s why Truck-Lite offers them with heating elements in the Front.
They popped up briefly in the 5x7’s, then disappeared.
I think the only offering right now is the 7” round light.

Haven't looked since I installed mine.

Drock

These that I just installed have a finned aluminum housing, which would suggest they get warm. Though perhaps just in the back, and not inside the lenses? I suppose if you couldn't find heated ones, you could rig up some extra hoses from your washer fluid bottle to spray onto the headlights? Kind of like Mercedes used to do.

sandsock

I am hearing from friends here in snow country, that the LED lights don't melt the snow off when driving in heavy snow. They have to keep getting out and cleaning the snow off the headlights!
Couldn't say....we're too far below the snowline here for me to know but they seem to be a little warm after driving, however not nearly as warm as the originals. I think if I was in the high country I'd worry more but then again I also kept the original ones JiC...but I grew up in Alaska and did two assignments to North Dakota where I saw even halogen bulbs ice up because it was so dang cold.

downhillbiker

Does anyone know about led upgrades for the 7" rounds? I can find lots of them on amazon, but want to make sure they will fit in my 1953 M211. Any way to know that, or are they universal?

I know I would have to run an inverter to drop down to 12v, bit that's not a big deal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Drock

Does anyone know about led upgrades for the 7" rounds? I can find lots of them on amazon, but want to make sure they will fit in my 1953 M211. Any way to know that, or are they universal?

I know I would have to run an inverter to drop down to 12v, bit that's not a big deal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
If your bezels will fit a standard 7" round glass bulb then yes.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In your research, have you found any DOT compliant, replacement headlamps that have the LED turn signals integrated? That would be the cat's meow.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about tail lights; anybody found a decent replacement for the stock (read that---way dull) units on CUCV's? Mine are so weak I wondered if it was electrical drain somewhere but I get a solid 12+ with meter. Is it possible there's a relay in that circuit?

MarcusOReallyus

Clean your grounds, too. It's nice to measure 12v at the socket, but it has to get back to the battery. Also, check it with a test light. You can measure a full 12v with a meter and still have dim bulbs if there is corrosion in the circuit. A test light will put a load on the circuit (the meter won't) and tell the tale.

If that all checks out, pop some decent LED bulbs in them. Make sure you get red ones for red lights, yellow ones for yellow lights. LEDs work differently than incandescent bulbs. You do NOT want white LEDs behind a red or yellow lens. It will just look dim and washed out.

Terracoma

Mine are so weak I wondered if it was electrical drain somewhere but I get a solid 12+ with meter. Is it possible there's a relay in that circuit?
It took me over a year with my M1008 to realize that the reverse lights were so dim because someone before me had installed 24v bulbs... :oops:

New tail light lens are cheap, and will also make a world of difference over the original, hazy, scratched up lenses.

sandsock

Cleaning the contacts is money...much like a crusty SSgt for Life showed me how a pencil eraser would clean up the hand mike contacts on the PRC- 77 that I was packing around that translated much later to the PRC-128s that I had to sign my life away for or the 14th or PRC-152s on many subsequent deployments. I put LED back ups from Amazon in so that could see around my front my front yard while firing up the Old Girl for 10'08 Tuesdays but a simple clean up for the directional sockets was plenty considering getting over 55 is a struggle.......

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

Matt5

Banned
LMC sells them most everything else is junk (i have no first hand experience with lmc ones), I have played with alot of those "ebay" / "amazon" cheapos, they don't work, they work wrong, then you need either resistors OR maybe a grounded electronic flasher.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to all on the TAILLIGHT issues. So looks like cleaning up contacts, new bezels AND LED bulbs makes for brighter but question is--- does it make a significant difference in brightness. Sorry to belabor that point but from what I've seen of my own taillights at nite it's scary dull, which is why a relay is also being considered. GOAL; I want brightness like-modern vehicles or as close to that as possible. Thanks again~! CIAO~!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks