• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leece Neville Alternator Voltage Regulator Replace

18operator

image.jpgOk so I'm finally to the point of replacing the voltage regulator on the Leece Neville alternator. I go to replace the little cylinder thing with the wire coming out of it ,the name of it escapes me. The one with the yellow wire is the new. The black wire one is the old one. You can see the new one and old one are different from each other. (Mirrored). My problem is if I put the new one in the correct way, I don't have enough wire to reach the terminal. Should I just put the old one back in and hope everything works fine?
The other thing is when you get a voltage regulator is it set up for the proper voltage? Meaning is the little Rio stat on that regulator tuned to 28.2 V? Or do I have to fiddle with it once I get the alternator back into the truck? Someone please help me with the name of that little part!

18operator

image.jpgThat's it! Capacitor. Couldn't think of that for the life of me. The capacitor that came with the new voltage regulator doesn't fit properly. The wire comes out of the wrong end as opposed to the original one. If it's just for noise and radio then I shouldn't have to worry about anything. The truck is too loud to put a radio in there anyways.

nukem

It looks like a condenser to me. Like used with an old gasser with points. It slowly sends un-used energy to ground. If you eleminate it, your alternator won't work. Try and see if the mount is only pressed or crimped on. Some times, you can roll the mount off and reverse it.

It also looks like the eyelet is only crimped on and not soldered.

Try to roll the mount off first for reversal and please get back.

I got creative with same problem on Iron head and Shovel head Harleys .

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a capacitor. The alternator will work without it. As stated earlier, it's to suppress alternator noise. Some alternators have them mounted externally. The wire goes to B+, the can is ground.

18operator

image.jpgimage.jpgPut the old capacitor back in. Installed the voltage regulator, cleaned the contacts,and put the alternator back in the truck. Started up the truck, everything looks good. I'm making 27.8 volts at the batteries. And the gauge reads in the green on the white tick mark.

18operator

Rebuild old Regulator?

Now since removing the old regulator and installing a new one (that works great), can the old voltage regulator that was overcharging be rebuilt? This would be good to put back on the shelf.
Just wondering if anyone has tried this or sent it to be rebuilt.

rustystud

Now since removing the old regulator and installing a new one (that works great), can the old voltage regulator that was overcharging be rebuilt? This would be good to put back on the shelf.
Just wondering if anyone has tried this or sent it to be rebuilt.
Yes they can be rebuilt but it will cost a pretty penny unless you have a rebuild center near you. Even then it might be cheaper to just buy another new one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks