• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal bumper height?

Biggles

I just registered my deuce in Illinois. they said "as long as the GVW isn't over 26,00 no CDL required." I asked several different people at the DMV. I have now been pulled over three times. (once by 7 officers who naturally assumed that I had just stolen my truck from the camp lincoln natuional gaurd armory) they didn't have ANY clue on what was legal and what wasn't they just assumed something was. I knew the laws better than them. my truck is illegal for several reasons I realized after the fact that i didn't have my rake lights turned on my turn signals don't work and when fully loaded I'm overwheight. (my plates are only good up to 16,000LBS) bumper height, frame to floor blah blah blah. you know what they had a problem with? They were pretty sure that I ahd to have the windshield up when ont he highway. I explained politely tot he officers that my windshield waqs cracked and was not legal (obstruction of view) but if I folded it down and wore goggles i was perfectly legal. After their captain arrived he ocnfirmed what I had said what they wanted to give me a ticket for wa legal what they wanted to make me do was illegal.

Long point......Be Polite. You are going to get pulled over just because the officer is curious more than anything else. You probably know what is legal better than he does. He probably knows that. Make sure you have the obvious **** (insurance anyone?) don't draw attention to the many things you actually are doing wrong (you are) and most importantly co-operate and BE POLITE.

P.S. No tickets were ever issued every stop ended the same way, with them asking about the truck just being curious and hanging out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks