• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

License Plate on your M1009

rod

Guys,

Where (or how) do you guys mount the license plate on your M1009. Since I live in Alabama we only need to have a license plate on the rear. I am almost done painting mine and I would like to know how you mount your license plate.

Any info (and pictures) will be appericated.

mangus580

Mine is 'zip' screwed to the tailgate. Was like that from the forestry service. I have seen some ppl make brackets for them, other bolted to the bumper... some even use magnets.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I went with the magnets stuck straight to the plate for now. Don't use wimpy magnets though.

IRWFO

I bolted a galvanized backing plate with SS bolts to the back on the license plate. I then put 4 large magnets on each corner of the plate. I put a bead of RTV around each magnet to keep them from sliding. Then I just laid it right on the tailgate. The magnets don't slide on the CARC at all.

Attachments

gasser

I used heavy-duty velcro to attach my plate to tailgate. I don't like to display my license plate all the time, so this method allows me to take the plate off and on when needed. My avatar is my plate.

IRWFO

That's why I like the magnets. At a parade or show I can take it right off. Hit it with a hose to clean the dirt & then there is no trace a plate was even there.

gasser

True - magnets is a definely another way to display your tag temporarily. I got my idea from Blake on the way up to Aberdeen 2006; since I got pulled over by VA police for not displaying my tag - was forced to zip-tie it, dangling below the pintle hitch. The black velcro doesn't bother me, it's not that obvious when the tag is off.

IRWFO, are you going to Aberdeen this year? You gotta show off your CUCV?!

gt1009

On mine, I guess that the military salvaged my pintle hitch for another more complete vehicle, as when the former owner bought mine it also had no grille or brush guard to speak of. If you don't know how to, you can find what your truck looked like by just putting the vin into google, and the Gov Liquidation listing will come up. But anyways, the guy that had it before me just put a liscense plate holder where the hitch was, and it works great. If you don't use your pintle, then you can do this and sell the hitch on ebay. Might post pics soon.

AJMBLAZER

I just screwed mine o the tailgate in the same position as gasser put his. I cut some rubber floor mat to the same dimensions as the plate to prevent "rubbage" and sealed the screws with silicone caulk to prevent leakage.

Simple and keeps the plate visible and out of the way.

Just a useful tidbit but in Michigan you have to have lights on the license plate if the vehicle came with some. Most states are this way as well. Since CUCV's never came with plate lights...or even plates...you don't need the lights.

donalloy1

not sure what i need to do as far as law is concerned in Ca. went with bumper mount and looks pretty clean. so far just looks from patrolmen. no pull over yet. dml2 sends...

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

When I got mine, it was screwed onto the tailgate, on the passenger side.
So I left it there. At that time it had no license plate light.

But last Friday, I got pulled over by the police for not having a license plate light.
So I mounted one yesterday, right above the license plate light.

Have a good night,

CJ

tgtaylor64

I drilled and tapped two holes below the pintle and attached a flip down plate holder from a late 80s Impala. Painted it OD and it is good to go.[thumbzup]

Last edited:

BigJohn1009

M1009 License plate

My M1009 had machine threaded inserts in the tailgate (for convoy sign maybe?) so I added another and bolted the license plate bracket to those ,then added a license plate light to the bumper shining up .

Attachments

Last edited:

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is how I installed my tags.
Angle aluminum held on with beam clamps.
And yes, the license plate light was an afterthought. I was told that in PA you don't need a light if the vehicle didn't come with one.
But for the $4.50 it cost to install it, I was better off to install one and not get pulled over and fight the ticket.
Karl

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks