• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light Bars for my HMMWV

NormB

I put a Mictuning 21.5" amber/white LED light bar on my truck, just drilled into the winch "panel"/front bumper.

At 120 Watts, 24 Volts, steady current draw is 5 Amps. I used a wiresizer calculator/app for a 3% voltage drop (0.72V) at 50% surge OVER (7.5A) and found 18 gauge was fine, 16 gauge would lose 2%, so I went with 16 gauge wire.

Relay? I don' need no steenkeen relay with a switch rated at 24V and 15A.

I'll put up a picture of the light bar momentarily. Mostly I put it on for the fog light feature.

Of course, YMMV

Last edited:

abfisher1798

Hoping to revive this thread......

I’m looking for light bar ideas. I like the type that mount at the top of the windshield without sticking up past the roof.

Ideas? Any for sale?

Thanks!

Wire Fox

Hoping to revive this thread......

I’m looking for light bar ideas. I like the type that mount at the top of the windshield without sticking up past the roof.

Ideas? Any for sale?

Thanks!
I don't have any specific leads for you, but what about the type that mounts inside the cab, against the windshield? In a quick search, it looks like most are fitted for specific vehicles to perfectly match the windshield angle, but I'm sure with enough digging, we could find one that goes against flat glass (there's enough fire trucks and busses out there...) that's going to be a wide-ranged "omnivolt" option.

abfisher1798

Until I source an Ibis-Tek, I had to improvise....

Seems like every supplier wants a firm $500+ for a simple, windshield light bar. I was not about fork that over for what looks to me to be nothing more than a fancy length of bent pipe. So, I built my own using box iron and some metal grating. Took about 8 hours over a few days. It's not glamorous, but it's mine.

Still looking for an OEM military setup, but this will do for now.

That's a Rough Country 54" Curved Cree LED light bar flanked with IR lights, 11589477-2.

I'm on the fence about the IR lights. I'll probably redo that to OEM, or the brush guard.

Happy New Year!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks