• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

limited slip on M35A2?

panshark

I went logging this weekend, bogged myself down in a wetland area, and noticed that while right side rear tires (bogged down and slurping mud) spun, the left tires that were on drier ground didn't turn, alas the left front tire was bogged down and spinning, and the right front spun as well, just not as fast. Can anyone explain how traction works for the duece? I assumed it was just posi...

Capt.Marion

Open diffs- the Marines put Detroit lockers in some of their trucks for beach/amphibious landings... but locked diffs would be unfortunate for any sort of on-road driving.

mudguppy

... but locked diffs would be unfortunate for any sort of on-road driving.
after some simple driving style adjustment, i hardly ever notice the locker in my bob'ed deuce. as long as you keep either on the power or stay off completely while in a turn, the locker will disengage the outter wheel.

while the tandem rears will want to fight each other, the wheelbase advantage will likely tame this.

just don't nail the go-pedal in the middle of a turn. :shock:

if it were my deuce, i'd just pony up for the ARBs - they can be had now for less than $100 over the price of a locker...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if it were my deuce, i'd just pony up for the ARBs - they can be had now for less than $100 over the price of a locker...
I'd be very interested in this. I can get a Detroit NoSpin for just under $500. Where could one get the ARB for $600?

Edit, make that $650. Detroits sure went uo since my last purchase. Ouversons are still just under $500.

Last edited:

nhdiesel

Just keep in mind the high maintenance of ARBs. They usually work great, but do have issues. I 'wheel with several people with them, and they are always pulling them apart for one reason or another. Nice for the selectable locker, but complex and high maintenance.

Detroits are install and forget about them. I can't speak for them in a Deuce, but my Jeep had 2 lockers and I never had an issue. My wife even used it as a daily driver for a year or so before it became mainly a trail rig. She never had any complaints about lockers.

Jim

mudguppy

I'd be very interested in this. I can get a Detroit NoSpin for just under $500. Where could one get the ARB for $600?

Edit, make that $650. Detroits sure went uo since my last purchase. Ouversons are still just under $500.
Yup, I'm in for a selectable locker for 600!
oh geez, i can't!!! i could swear i've seen ARBs for ~$680, but i don't see anything less than $890.

i never mess up numbers this bad, but i must have made that up ... :oops:

sorry - apparently i'm a tool. :doh:

rizzo

Just keep in mind the high maintenance of ARBs. They usually work great, but do have issues. I 'wheel with several people with them, and they are always pulling them apart for one reason or another. Nice for the selectable locker, but complex and high maintenance.

Jim
i really like the way the Norwegian lockers are designed. I wonder how hard it would be to make those parts?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
norwegian air lockers: as on the m-621
special shaft on both sides as they are larger in od, long spline on the long side special carrier with dogs to engage sliding collar. don't know what you mean about maintaince, i have never done anything to mine and they always engage, light on dash to show when they are locked. complete axle assy for about $1000.................

1stDeuce

To go the cheapest route, you might lincoln lock the front and toss on some lockouts... That would allow you to drag the truck around a little easier by the front axle, which usually has decent traction thanks to weight, while allowing you to unlock completely to elim any steering issues when you're not in full 6x6.

Man, adding Detroits to the rear would be sweet, but justifying $1300 for a $2000 truck is just not easy... If I was offroad that much, I might just lincoln lock the rears and call it good. :)

Downside to lockers: If you spin, the locked axle(s) will head downhill, whether this means to the bottom of the ruts, or down a sidehill... Lockers are not ideal for sidehilling in slippery conditions, especially if turning is involved... Time for chains then! :)
C

1stDeuce

Ya know, it just occurred to me another even cheaper idea... If a person replumbed the rear brakes and tied the two left rears together on a circuit and the two right rears together on a circuit, you could use a momentary switch to the line lock on each circuit to hold pressure off one side or the other. Then pressing gently on the brake pedal would stop the spinning tires, and transfer some torque to the wheels with traction that weren't spinning.... Ok, might need three line locks... One fed via diodes so if either rear gets excited, you don't put pressure on the front brakes... But I bet you'd see noticable improvement even without limiting front pressure... Just add enough brake to get you moving again... I used to do that even with no linelocks and two open diffs, just add some brake pressure to get the left to right torques closer to equal... Many times, it'll get you through!!

Voila, Poor Man's Brake Traction Control... "Yeah, my deuce has PMBTC... It's unstoppable!!"
:)

C

greenjeepster

Ya know, it just occurred to me another even cheaper idea... If a person replumbed the rear brakes and tied the two left rears together on a circuit and the two right rears together on a circuit, you could use a momentary switch to the line lock on each circuit to hold pressure off one side or the other. Then pressing gently on the brake pedal would stop the spinning tires, and transfer some torque to the wheels with traction that weren't spinning.... Ok, might need three line locks... One fed via diodes so if either rear gets excited, you don't put pressure on the front brakes... But I bet you'd see noticable improvement even without limiting front pressure... Just add enough brake to get you moving again... I used to do that even with no linelocks and two open diffs, just add some brake pressure to get the left to right torques closer to equal... Many times, it'll get you through!!

Voila, Poor Man's Brake Traction Control... "Yeah, my deuce has PMBTC... It's unstoppable!!"
:)

C
LOL, what would really be unstoppable is the money flying out of your pocket for brake jobs, they only cost about 400.00 per wheel:wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks