• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Little head studs came out. What now?

Powerstroke94

Alright guys, Im in the process if replacing the head gaskets on my truck, and when I went to get the nuts off of the studs under the injector ports I was only able to remove 3 of the nuts by themselves. The other 3 had to be removed with taking the stud out with the nut still on it. I finally got the nuts off of those 3 studs and now my question is, is there a special way you have to put the studs back in? Do you just hand tighten them then put the heads back on and torque them down or what? Thanks in advance guys!!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When installing studs I double nut the stud ( tighten nuts together) then use the top nut to tighten the stud to torque for the stud ( use lock-tite like gimpy said ) , then use 2 wrenchs on the nuts to break the nuts free from each other and remove nuts .

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the double nut the stud but remove the top nut after you get the stud installed (let it sit until LocTite cures properly). After curing torque the remaining nut to specs like is supposed to be done. If you torque with two nuts in place as soon as the first nut stops you are then applying all the torque to the top nut against the bottom nut and not where you are supposed to be applying it.

But that's just my opinion YMMV.

PS. The studs do NOT get torqued down, just snugged.

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watch the height of the studs you are reinstalling. Make sure they are at the same height as the ones still in the block. Any lower and you won't have enough threads to put nuts/ washers back on. No, the studs on the multifuel don't need to be replaced after each use. Old school technology here.

JasonS

I've also found that loctite works the best for sealing studs into water jackets. Especially if they are loose threads.

Powerstroke94

So should I put them in by hand first then put the nuts on and tighten it just a little bit more? Or istall the nuts to where the top nut is even with the top of the stud and then put them in?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thread the studs in by hand and check the height compared to the other studs. You don't want to torque the stud down in a blind hole. Just snug it and use loctite. If the stud threads in too far (is lower than the other studs), just don't thread it in all the way when you install it; use loctite.

Powerstroke94

Alrighty thanks guys! It sounds like it shouldn't be a problem now. Oh and does anyone know what size the threads are on the part of the stud that goes in the block? Im going to try and get a thread chaser for them and I don't know anything about them except that they're a course thread.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Except that thread chasers are what you are supposed to use. Tap and die sets remove material.

;-)

Jesse6325

I've use taps and dies for thread chaser many times, Yest they remove matereal, But only if 1. they are the wrong size, And most good tap and die set come with a thread pitch gauge, and 2. The threads you are cleaning are boogered up in which case you want to take JUST the bad part of the threads out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks