• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Living with a HMMWV

erasedhammer

erasedhammer: Any pictures of your seats? Certainly on the short list of to-do's.
I have two, attached below. They are the black canvas ones that were all over a couple months ago. There are also green leather ones that I have seen installed.
hmmwv1.jpghmmwv2.jpg

riderdan

More good info, thanks.

When I was the XO's alternate driver, we didn't bother trying to stay dry if driving in the rain. And I do remember a waterfall when there was a heavy overnight rain in Grafenwohr. So I'm expecting some water to get in--though I'll probably ask more questions about sealing once I have a truck in hand. I recall the heater working fairly well in the Italian alps, but only in the front. I don't recall ever seeing any humvees with AC. And (now that I've been reminded) I remember them being hot as heck in the sandbox. But when it's 128 degrees in the shade an 80% humidity, being in the cab with overhead shade and the wind blowing almost seemed better than standing around in the sun. Of course, that was a number of years ago, and I'm sure my 40's self is a lot softer than my 20's self was. :)

Appreciate the tip on the MRAP seats. They look better than the "enhanced" seats they were issuing along about when I got out. I do remember long rides being uncomfortable. And I used to be able to fall asleep on a pile of rucks in the back of a deuce--so they must be worse than I recall. I'll add that to my list of possible upgrades.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Dan

crazzyrman

I saw them when I was a kid & they were just coming into service in the late 80's & thought "cool trucks". Then when I got into offloading about 12 years ago I thought I want a hmmwv if they become available to the public at a (somewhat) reasonable price & I finally got 1 last spring.
The reality is they are old school bare bones trucks with no creature comforts, but if you are seriously thinking about getting 1 you already know that & don't care.
If you want to go down the highway at 65+mph have good heat/ ac, it to be quiet, to stay dry & get decent fuel mileage you'll look/ get a modern civilian use built vehicle.
In a hmmwv you'll draw more attention going down the highway at 55mph than the red sports car doing 90+mph & you'll probably piss off just as many people. It will be a good conversation piece some will be good & some will be bad. You will not be able to do anything stealthy, everybody will see you when you go someplace.

For me its a cool truck that I love, but I've got a fleet, I've got 3 goldwings that are my commuter econo use all the time vehicles, when I need something bigger I have a ram pickup (my primary tow vehicle, but also all around comfort), a lifted wrangler (my primary offloaded) & the hmmwv (as my primary 4 wheeled runaround vehicle)

Waters

Other posters were talking about the horns; my 53 m38a1 jeep has this wicked "MWEEEEP" horn unlike anything ive ever heard. I cant attest to the ww2 MB and GPW jeep horns though.

i recall responding to perimeter activity at bagram air field in an unarmored hmmwv without sirens and the driver bashing the little polite horn while i yelled and berated unyielding traffic out the window to get by them.

always wondered why these blackout equipped vehicles didnt have horn lockouts. a sleepy private could give everyone away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks