• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Living with a HMMWV

erasedhammer

erasedhammer: Any pictures of your seats? Certainly on the short list of to-do's.
I have two, attached below. They are the black canvas ones that were all over a couple months ago. There are also green leather ones that I have seen installed.
hmmwv1.jpghmmwv2.jpg

riderdan

More good info, thanks.

When I was the XO's alternate driver, we didn't bother trying to stay dry if driving in the rain. And I do remember a waterfall when there was a heavy overnight rain in Grafenwohr. So I'm expecting some water to get in--though I'll probably ask more questions about sealing once I have a truck in hand. I recall the heater working fairly well in the Italian alps, but only in the front. I don't recall ever seeing any humvees with AC. And (now that I've been reminded) I remember them being hot as heck in the sandbox. But when it's 128 degrees in the shade an 80% humidity, being in the cab with overhead shade and the wind blowing almost seemed better than standing around in the sun. Of course, that was a number of years ago, and I'm sure my 40's self is a lot softer than my 20's self was. :)

Appreciate the tip on the MRAP seats. They look better than the "enhanced" seats they were issuing along about when I got out. I do remember long rides being uncomfortable. And I used to be able to fall asleep on a pile of rucks in the back of a deuce--so they must be worse than I recall. I'll add that to my list of possible upgrades.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Dan

I saw them when I was a kid & they were just coming into service in the late 80's & thought "cool trucks". Then when I got into offloading about 12 years ago I thought I want a hmmwv if they become available to the public at a (somewhat) reasonable price & I finally got 1 last spring.
The reality is they are old school bare bones trucks with no creature comforts, but if you are seriously thinking about getting 1 you already know that & don't care.
If you want to go down the highway at 65+mph have good heat/ ac, it to be quiet, to stay dry & get decent fuel mileage you'll look/ get a modern civilian use built vehicle.
In a hmmwv you'll draw more attention going down the highway at 55mph than the red sports car doing 90+mph & you'll probably piss off just as many people. It will be a good conversation piece some will be good & some will be bad. You will not be able to do anything stealthy, everybody will see you when you go someplace.

For me its a cool truck that I love, but I've got a fleet, I've got 3 goldwings that are my commuter econo use all the time vehicles, when I need something bigger I have a ram pickup (my primary tow vehicle, but also all around comfort), a lifted wrangler (my primary offloaded) & the hmmwv (as my primary 4 wheeled runaround vehicle)

Waters

Other posters were talking about the horns; my 53 m38a1 jeep has this wicked "MWEEEEP" horn unlike anything ive ever heard. I cant attest to the ww2 MB and GPW jeep horns though.

i recall responding to perimeter activity at bagram air field in an unarmored hmmwv without sirens and the driver bashing the little polite horn while i yelled and berated unyielding traffic out the window to get by them.

always wondered why these blackout equipped vehicles didnt have horn lockouts. a sleepy private could give everyone away.