• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Air Conditioner

Guruman

Not so new member
Fyi: for the cost of a surplus evap you can get an entire system from Coldmaster. You need the pulley and bracket still, but saves thousands of dollars going this route.

I have not seen this style before. However, I did consider that the LMTV specific unit was just a metal box with heat and A/C bits in it. It would not be hard to make a similar metal box and put in a Vintage Air heat and A/C unit in it. I still might go that route, but these back wall units are interesting. Thanks.

Edit: And it's 34,000 btu? Hmmm.

Third From Texas

Third From Texas

I have not seen this style before. However, I did consider that the LMTV specific unit was just a metal box with heat and A/C bits in it. It would not be hard to make a similar metal box and put in a Vintage Air heat and A/C unit in it. I still might go that route, but these back wall units are interesting. Thanks.

Exactly. Buy the universal kit. Install it as is or have a fab shop bend you a box, cut a few holes, and ...ta-da...instant gen2 housing. Slap the universal components in there and off you go.

*I have all the exact dimensions of the gen2 housing somewhere if anyone needs them, btw (if I can find where I put them)

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Gen2 are rated at 30k if I recall.

And if you are going to insulate the cab, you possibly won't need that much. Sean ("Able") has the OEM Reddot HUMVEE a/c (24k btu) in his cab and says it's more than enough (of course, he lives in PacNW so I can't say if that would be enough in a hell like S.TX etc).

But I seem to recall that the gen1 were like 20k and gen2 upped to 30k btu.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gen 2 FMTV unit is rated at 33,300 BTU's according to Tom at Waterloo Specialties:

He must be experiencing quite a high demand since the gen 2's are temporarily out of stock along with several other components.

The stock system (or at least the evap/heater/control box) may be somewhat expensive but it's very nice and is a bolt-in.

Third From Texas

The gen 2 FMTV unit is rated at 33,300 BTU's according to Tom at Waterloo Specialties:

He must be experiencing quite a high demand since the gen 2's are temporarily out of stock along with several other components.

The stock system (or at least the evap/heater/control box) may be somewhat expensive but it's very nice and is a bolt-in.

But the universal units that I linked all meet (exceed) the Gen2 spec (and with complete gen2 kits at $5000-7000 now, the universals are less than 1/4 of the cost even after brackets and pulley).

Coldmaster sells Reddot stuff, too. I've never asked if Reddot can still crank out gen2 evaps's....(somebody tell them they are selling for $1500-2500 and I bet they might have interest). But at the end of the day, it's just a metal box with an evap and blower in it...if you've ever looked there is not much to them.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah the prices have gone up. Even just since the 1st of the new year. I figured this was going to happen with everything going on in the world so I ordered all my components in December and total price shipped was $3,994 for literally everything - I spent another $160 on a hose crimper and I'll have to buy bulk AC hose, but I don't think that's *too* bad to have a stock appearance. Personally I want the stock look of the gen 2 that integrates the AC and the heat, and the hoses to/from the unit are much easier than trying to hang something off the back wall. I've seen several YouTube videos of installs like that or even putting small room sized 12 VAC units in the back wall.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
There's actually 2 blank prongs....it kinda scares me to send 24 volts the freewheel ac fans....never did like electrical.....just don't understand it.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
That is not how it works, the fording switch removes the ground for the condenser fans relay so they cannot turn on.

Ronmar

That is not how it works, the fording switch removes the ground for the condenser fans relay so they cannot turn on.
You are correct, the A/C controller needs a ground path to enable the condenser control relay. Where the confusion arises is that the fording switch controls 24V to control the engine fan solenoid.

The fording switch does switch ground to control the fan indicator light, and with one small re-configuration(swap two wires on the switch) can also control the condenser fan enable…

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
You are correct, the A/C controller needs a ground path to enable the condenser control relay. Where the confusion arises is that the fording switch controls 24V to control the engine fan solenoid.

The fording switch does switch ground to control the fan indicator light, and with one small re-configuration(swap two wires on the switch) can also control the condenser fan enable…
well close, there is actually just one open terminal on back of the fording switch that the ground from the A/C system plugs into. No reconfig needed.

Ronmar

well close, there is actually just one open terminal on back of the fording switch that the ground from the A/C system plugs into. No reconfig needed.
Well I was trying to figure out how you could possibly have this so wrong:) and I think we may both have it wrong, at least depending on what truck we are referring to… Pin 6 is the common and it switches between pin 2 and 8. On an A0 if you connect pin 8 to your A/C condenser controller line, when you flip the switch it will connect that line to the fan light in the indicator panel as pin 6 runs to the light and pin 2 runs to ground…

On the A1 they swapped the pin2 and pin6 connections on that switch(although that drawing shows pin 2 as the common). if ground is on the common pin, it will work as it will switch ground between the A/C condenser enable line and the fan disabled indicator in the dash…

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
FWIW, I was able to find and order the crank pulley from my local dealer. Should be able to pick it up in a couple of days.

1644872359245.png

AAAAnd.

I found a bit of a different bracket for the A/C Compressor, not sure it'll work, but it looks like it should and it specifically says it's for the 3116. And from the pics it looks like it does not need an idler. Hopefully it lines up with the crank pulley.

1644872074120.png

Got it from here: https://www.vmacs.net/products/ac-compressor-mount-kit-for-caterpillar-3114-and-3116-engine-part

Sorry it was the last one, but maybe they will get more in, or at least it's another part number we can source from somewhere maybe.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Not such a great deal as it won't fit and I sell the correct brackets for $240, sold out now but expect 20 more in a couple weeks.
The price on that pulley is either very old or they are losing money selling it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks