• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Air Conditioner

watsonsw81

Hello all, I'm new to SS, have a '99 S&S M1085A1. We are building a brush truck out of it, and would really like to add A/C so our guys can catch a break on these summertime fires. I'm interested in buying any of the part/pieces/kits or any advice you may have etc. Shoot me a message or email watson.sw15@yahoo.com We are located just west of Fort Worth.

Thanks!

Liberty Ship

97 M1078 here. Just got the cab unit, compressor, and pair of compressor brackets, but still need the condenser. Maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread, but what is the scoop on engine mounting location for the compressor ?

Mlvarnell

Look back at post #55 for a diagram of the brackets and compressor mounts. I sure wish we could get someone to post the item description key page for this. Looks as if it mounts left side, front.

Overdrive

I was going to do a write-up next for the compressor brackets but I have been tied up trying to finish my sound deadening project first... I may still go ahead and start a new thread specifically for AC Compressor install.

Here is the compressor mounted up using the two brackets. CAUTION is required as you are unbolting the left front engine mount bolts for the lower bracket and unbolting the ONLY two bolts that hold your air pump/power steering pump to the front cover/engine. In the diagram for the brackets it shows a spacer inserted on the rear engine mount bolt between the block and the lower bracket. I need to find a suitable washer or spacer and stick it in there. As it is, you MUST NOT TIGHTEN the lower bracket bolts until you have ALL the upper bracket bolts installed and attached to the lower bracket otherwise you will be cursing and trying to use a prybar to get the lower and upper bracket bolts to match up... Don't ask me how I know this, Jedi training.

I used longer metric bolts (of the proper strength same as the factory CAT bolts) for all the engine cover and pump bolts since the upper bracket adds about a 1/4". be VERY careful to not jar the air compressor loose when doing this. Also, the threads on the lower bracket that attach the upper bracket are easily stripped. I stripped one and was able to drill it out and put a nut on the bolt. You can see the three grade8 bolts with the 4th hole the one I stripped.

It looks like ALL the threads on the upper bracket are clogged with powder coat and machining residue so you MUST chase them with a tap or you will mess up your bolts/threads.

Ac005.jpg

Ac006.jpg

Az007.jpg
On the last pic with just the brackets installed I eventually routed the big wire loom behind the bracket for a cleaner appearance and to not pinch anything.

When your done please be sure to torque your two left front engine mount bolts... Actually check them ALL since I found all of mine to be scary loose.

You MUST torque the engine cover, air pump, and engine mounts to spec... you do not want your air compress coming loose going down the highway. It is REALLY tight in there once the brackets are in place but I was able to torque those bolts.
Hope this helps.
OD

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still need the idler assembly, the main pulley, and the dryer assembly. Does anyone have info on these parts, or the parts themselves?
Check a popular online auction site. There are a couple of kits that have those items but you'll be paying for a compressor and some hoses as well. I tried contacting him to see if he had any loose idlers but he didn't. So now I'm trying to get a part number or NSN from him. I'll post those if I get them.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't get a NSN# but there were a couple of part numbers on one of the idler packages posted.

#1 Part Number 12505708

#2 Red Dot Part Number RD-3-1240

Hope that helps in case Scott runs out of idlers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks