• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV and Gov Planets oil sample analysis

shadowrwolf

iron planet tests are not very good they do not pull the oil from the same places or way every time and you do not know how long its been since it had a oil change best bet is to do a oil change and test it your self after your oilchange

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
The reason you don't always see oil samples should be quite simply if it is not running there is no point in taking the sample. Protocol is for the truck to run for 30 minutes before the sample is taken... Does that always happen? People take shortcuts all the time and quite simply some inspectors are better than others.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long have oil sample test results been provided? On what other trucks are they provided? I'd bet GovPlanet takes oil and transmission samples on the FMTV series because they can so easily. Just start the engine and open the engine and transmission test ports to flow a sample. Most likely they do not run the engine for 30 minutes, and probably do not purge the hoses to the test ports before sampling either. (That would mean they would have waste oil to get rid of somehow.) The test is probably run on whatever resided in the test hose, plus a little from the engine/trans.

As for taking a sample from the drain plug on the bottom of the engine or trans, we all know that once the plug is out, it's Niagra Falls under there. Imagine trying to pull a 4 ounce sample and put the plug back in? Better have some big buckets ready. Can't see GovPlanet risking that at all.

How many other military trucks have sampling ports?

BTW, Blackstone test on my Allison showed high copper. Blackstone indicated this could easily be initial wear on bushings and thrust washers and not indicative of a problem.

An earlier comment indicated that high copper and iron in a test would indicate worn clutches. I don't follow that at all. Why?

I am in the group who think the provided test results are mostly useless.

Last edited:

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
They are typically taken on all vehicles, We have taken oil samples since day 1 as we have been doing it for years on the core business side selling Construction equipment. Some inspectors take on non running trucks as well if they do we post it.

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
I will say that I am pretty confident that if we didn't provide them we would hear complaints about that too. So kind of a darned if you do darned if don't situations :p.

shadowrwolf

How long have oil sample test results been provided? On what other trucks are they provided? I'd bet GovPlanet takes oil and transmission samples on the FMTV series because they can so easily. Just start the engine and open the engine and transmission test ports to flow a sample. Most likely they do not run the engine for 30 minutes, and probably do not purge the hoses to the test ports before sampling either. (That would mean they would have waste oil to get rid of somehow.) The test is probably run on whatever resided in the test hose, plus a little from the engine/trans.

As for taking a sample from the drain plug on the bottom of the engine or trans, we all know that once the plug is out, it's Niagra Falls under there. Imagine trying to pull a 4 ounce sample and put the plug back in? Better have some big buckets ready. Can't see GovPlanet risking that at all.

How many other military trucks have sampling ports?

BTW, Blackstone test on my Allison showed high copper. Blackstone indicated this could easily be initial wear on bushings and thrust washers and not indicative of a problem.

An earlier comment indicated that high copper and iron in a test would indicate worn clutches. I don't follow that at all. Why?

I am in the group who think the provided test results are mostly useless.

the CO and UT locations have been testing the 5 tons as well

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will say that I am pretty confident that if we didn't provide them we would hear complaints about that too. So kind of a darned if you do darned if don't situations :p.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I was a little speculative of poor procedures in my post. It's always better to have the sample test compared to not having it.

thanks,

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I was a little speculative of poor procedures in my post. It's always better to have the sample test compared to not having it.

thanks,
Its no worries, fact is we are always looking to improve and that is the one of the reasons I got on the site there is no better way to know how we are doing than straight from our customers which seem to ALL be on this great site! So truth be told I always like when you guys call us out for something it either lets me set the record straight on something or use it to improve what or how we do things!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks