• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV M1078 Transmission Fluid Change To ATF Write Up

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder how well it would circulate through the secondary cooler on my mtv. There is that piece people were thinking was a bypass. Guessing I should drain from the return before it goes back into the tranny.
Just an FYI, I had pulled my cooler to get to the oil pump/pan. So it was draining for a few weeks in a bucket. But without pulling it, I'd think doing what you're saying is effective at flushing the cooler itself.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled the *return* hose and let the cooler nipple dump into a bucket so when I did it the cooler also got flushed.

If you have an MTV with the secondary cooler you should flush that separately and also note those have thermostatic valves so you have to work around that in the process.

Might consider something like this - virtually all the replacement remanufactured transmission we buy at my shop come with a can:

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This might be a silly question but do the dipstick fill marks apply to ATF? Or just the old 10w-30 motor oil? I filled mine to the cold fill mark, but today I saw a big ATF leak after a hot test. It's coming out of the breather rather liberally, or at least it was. It's all wet up there. Easy to see. I'm thinking I overfilled it but now the dipstick level is at the Low mark and the fluid is hot. Wouldn't the dipstick marks need to change for the different fluid type? Just guessing

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This might be a silly question but do the dipstick fill marks apply to ATF? Or just the old 10w-30 motor oil? I filled mine to the cold fill mark, but today I saw a big ATF leak after a hot test. It's coming out of the breather rather liberally, or at least it was. It's all wet up there. Easy to see. I'm thinking I overfilled it but now the dipstick level is at the Low mark and the fluid is hot. Wouldn't the dipstick marks need to change for the different fluid type? Just guessing
I don't think so... The level of the oil is (should be) unaffected by the type of oil.