• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Mirror Brackets

Cave Johnson

Anyone else lacking the the upper and lower mirror brackets? (lower shown below). My truck only came with the driver side mirror assembly, so Im replicating it for the passenger end.

Im going to have a set burned out for myself, but I wouldnt mind having more made to dilute the setup cost. (Example, lower bracket one unit will cost about 50, 2 units 35 each, 3 units 30 each, logarithmic decline to 20 each)

I know the actual unit has those dimples pressed in, but cutting them out should function identically, my model shown below.

1651410781303.png

Reactions: HDN

AFGVET

Why would you not stay original to the design?
What is gained by cutting out the position indentations?
I would think that long term risk is that its another exposed edge where corrosion can start.

Reactions: HDN

Cave Johnson

Why would you not stay original to the design?
What is gained by cutting out the position indentations?
I would think that long term risk is that its another exposed edge where corrosion can start.
Im making them out of stainless. I also dont have a press big enough, nor a press bit shaped like that, its a very unique tool. The door will be a pile of iron oxide dust before the one Im making will fail.

Side note, that kind of embossing is practical if you are making half a million items. Not 1 or a dozen.

Last edited:

Cave Johnson

Nothing sacrosanct about S&S designs. Trust me on that one. This is what's on the truck from the factory. Someone in the engineering department simply adopted a press tool standard that existed previously and moved to forward. Its probably a little stronger by virtue of work hardening of the steel and non-removal of material, but that was not a consideration when this was thrown together. It was the cost to manufacture half a million of more of them, at which point saving 10 cents per unit adds up.

1651421491386.png

HDN

I'm curious - what CAD program are you using to design this part?

It's stuff like this that's great for making stuff that otherwise costs and arm and a leg to get NOS!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks