• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV recovery and failure, home now

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had this happen to one of our trucks at my unit. Sad thing is though it's used everyday.
So it sounds like there is some kind of latent age-related defect in the powertrain that can manifest at any time resulting in lockup and the driver being thrown through the windshield at 58 MPH? I won't be buying one of these after all.

EDIT: I no longer think the above statement is true.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Can it be lift towed by dropping the F/R drive shafts ?????

call me, 703-389-6705

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
73m819 has the equipment and the expertise for a lift tow. I can assist but only with flat tow. If it is only front axle, three options, lift tow, pull caps and flat tow, or if drag-able, trailer it.

Jeepsinker

I wish you were closer, I would have rolled the M936 to lift tow you last night. I'm sure you aren't still on the side of the road. Just hope you didn't get hurt out there on the side of the road.

FloridaAKM

Glad to hear that you made it safely home. This recovery will put the brakes on sales of the LMTVs that are offered for those who learn about it here. Good luck on getting it running again!

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes me wonder if they drained the oil out of the axles, which would cover all trucks, not just LMTVs.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear that you made it safely home. This recovery will put the brakes on sales of the LMTVs that are offered for those who learn about it here. Good luck on getting it running again!
I don't think it will hurt sales , but it shows why having them hauled is a good idea . Until post #11 is answered it is a guessing game on what caused it.

3dAngus

If I could have got it running, I would have drove it too. My ore checks might have been different, especially if hitting the interstate. We all learn as we go. If it broke down along the way, then I would pay for a haul, not just for the sake of throwing away money.
His machine would break down just as easy and just as well at home after being hauled for $500.
Glad you made it home. I'll just shut up and go check my fluids now, especially in my front housing. Sounds like yours was drained. Good luck with it. Let us know the fix and costs. Nothing there that would keep me from bidding on one if I had the free cash.

Wile E. Coyote

I'd also be interested to hear what caused this, though I'm guessing as well that there was no lube in that diff. I've picked up all sorts of trucks from GL and so far have only had one empty transfer case and one empty diff, and that was on trucks that looked as though they were in service right up until the sale date. Hmm.

Artisan

Are were sure it is the front diff? Would it be prudent to pull the
front driveshaft first and see what spins free and what does not
w/ the T/C in neutral?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot can be found with a Google search for "LMTV failures".
This article relates to the original driveshaft problem (and numerous other design flaws uncovered). Lots of folks always wondered how S&S managed to score the FMTV contract, as they had never built a highway truck from scratch in the history of the company.

auctionaddict

It appears this lock up problem is prevalent with these. It looks like we need to be prepared to pull the hubs when we pick these up. I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a printable "Pick UP Check List" for all the common models. We have a lot of newbies and it would help us forgetful Old Farts. It could have the basics as well as appendices for model specifics like pulling the hubs.

"This situation is EXACTLY why people should generally get their trucks hauled home."
The preview ,pre-flight and drive home is very much part of joy and excitement of MV'ing for me.

I agree, The recovery is the fun part.
It was impossible to do a 100% pre-check. It was pouring rain and MR GRUMPYGILLS at ATL truck center said I had 15 minutes to get it off the lot, they were closing.
Air dryer was busted so I had to spend the 15 minutes bypassing that !
Turned out to be a bad pinion bearing

auctionaddict

OK Here it is.
Pinion bearing got hot and came apart, Looks like that's all it hurt.
The ring an pinion look great, Its clean in the pumpkin but was low on oil.
Truck shows 170 miles, maybe they didn't top it off when it was built ?
Took the hubs off and pulled the driveshaft, The truck WILL NOT pull at all with the front driveshaft out.
Axles don't slide out, but the spider gears come out of the hub very easy.

Maybe I got lucky, I will have the new pinion bearing back it Wednesday or Thursday and will let you know.

For the few miles I did drive it, I loved it !! Very easy to drive, good power and smooth ride..
Runs and drives WAY better than my old m944a1, m923a2 2012 rebuild, or my m35a2

Tow truck driver got there 2am, got in the bed 5am !!

lmt.jpgpinion.jpg

auctionaddict

Plan B was a "friend" who owns a towing service that told me to "just call" if you need me.
But when he found out it was raining in ATL he suddenly didn't feel well.

FloridaAKM

Fair weather friends are plentiful; its when you really need help, that sorts them out. Glad to see that you have gotten home safely & have figured out the problem. Keep us posted as to how you fix this problem & get her going again!