• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Shocks Absorbers

Baja2dakar

After taking my LMTV off road I noticed one of the shocks leaking badly. Took it off and it was junk. So now I need a new one.

Lucky for me I work for King Shocks and have some experience with putting shocks on some of the Dakar race rigs (Mercedes, MAN and DAF). I am in the middle of putting together a set for my 1078.

Last edited by a moderator:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great! Please share the crosses when you have everything figured out. Next, see if you can figure out a cross for the cab air bag/shock combo units. They are also about to fail on all the 1990's trucks.

Let us know how bad you punish you LMTV off road. I've seen some videos of the MTVs "catching air" but you never know what all broke off when they do that. I know they beat the crap out of the Dakar rigs, I would like to know if a stock LMTV is at that level.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I need a new shock too. It just so happens the shocks sit right in front of the brake cans and someone had previously caged the brake but had to put a big dent in the shock to do so.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they the same as a 5ton M939? Another member crossed them and I have the Monroe number if it helps?

I installed a gas set and it is nights/day difference over the old school hydraulic.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
No they look a lot longer. At least on the 5ton mtv versions. Not sure about the deuce ones. The mtv has a set of shocks on each axle.

Baja2dakar

If someone gets me extended and collapsed lengths with the diameter of the cab shock I can see what is available. I have drawings and options for the 1078 LMTV regular shocks and hopefully will get some ideas on cost soon.

Baja2dakar

Yes I have drawings for the front shocks but not for the cab shocks. I need some dimensions on those to see if we have parts (if one of you can access those numbers send them over).

From what I have researched it looks like the original shock absorbers have a 2.5 diameter piston. I based our build on this diameter but I can build 3.0 shocks to the same specs but they are considerably more expensive. Our shocks come with an external reservoir and you can option to have compression adjusters as well. If you need more details you can PM me.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 618408View attachment 618409
Finally got my shocks installed and tested at Sonora Rally. They worked great. I used the 12" King Pure Race series shocks fitted with a custom bottom rod end. I mounted bypass shocks but a standard smooth body will work as well. Took the truck into the dunes and she did very well.
What's a ballpark price on something like that?

Baja2dakar

Those are 3.0 Race series with 3 bypass tubes. They run around $1,200 a piece. The non bypass smooth body shocks would be around $850 each.

There are other options as well. King has the specs to do custom builds with some of their HD Truck line parts. That could bring the costs down but would be a special order. I used the race series as it fits right off the shelf with the special large rod end. Plus we wanted the off road performance of a bigger shock.

Baja2dakar

Cab shock update: not sure if posted elsewhere but I pulled my cab shocks and airbags apart and did some research. The manufacturer of this set up is a company called Power Packer and they sell rebuild kits. I purchased two through the distributor, Ohio Hydraulics, for $195 a piece plus shipping. Rebuilt and on the truck and working great. You need to check the internal shock is not leaking and is in good operating condition, but the rebuild process was quite easy.

Tango Zulu

You work for King suspension huh?
Man... I always wanted to get the coilovers you guys developed for the gen1 Ridgeline to run the baja 1000 for my own truck. I think you are the only company that ever made coilovers for it. Meh. Some day.

Baja2dakar

You work for King suspension huh?
Man... I always wanted to get the coilovers you guys developed for the gen1 Ridgeline to run the baja 1000 for my own truck. I think you are the only company that ever made coilovers for it. Meh. Some day.
No longer working with King. Now organizing a rally raid in Mexico called the Sonora Rally (www.sonorarally.com). Dakar style event with Dune crossings.

My brother designed the Ridgeline shocks as he was the driver of that car. They were one off. No production of that particular shock was ever made. Doubt it ever will be because of cost and actual demand.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter

PowerstrokeNC

Anybody find a suitable replacement yet?
one thats not $850
Also anyone know how much resistance the shocks should have? Mine have very little thats why i assume they are toast....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks