• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locked Military padlocks

datsunaholic

I have several American 5200s with no keys, attached to bits of chain. One is still welded to the floor of the deuce (they cut the chain and not the lock), and another is attached to a chain I cut out of a 5-ton when my old Reserve Unit got it from DRMO sans keys.

I also have a bunch of 700 series locks, and Eagle locks, etc that were cluttering various junk drawers on both my old ship and my reserve unit. They were gonna chuck them, and I already had a shoebox full of keys. I think I ended up matching 2 700 series locks and one Eagle lock. Plus I have a couple eagle locks that are cut, but have the keys- those were caused by a jerk of an officer who decided to hold a surprise Zone inspection in our shop when the duty PO was on watch, and so he cut the lock off the shop door and a couple locks inside the shop. He was looking for contraband, which didn't exist. I ended up taking those locks home too, I was hoping I could replace the hasps but not worth it.

Verkstad

American Lock most always has mushroom or serrated pins in at least 2 stacks and often all stacks. These locks are tough to pick or bump.

The 5200 (IIRC...) has an oval plate around the keyway. Adjacent to the keyway is what appears a rivethead. Its hardened but can be drilled. This removes the plate and the lock core can be removed and further disassembled.
It's risker but with practice one can just drill the core to open the lock.
Repair parts can be purchased but unless you have a pile of 5200 serie locks to re-core its not usually costwise effective to replace the parts.

If you happen to have BEST padlocks they too are very hard to pick, But easy to drill, Then replace their cores. This is cost effective and BEST locks interchangeable core system is very cool in general.
I have several that are factory stamped with "Fort Lewis Post Engineer" and the Corps of Engineers logo.
There is a huge BEST Lock collectors world out there and regularly military logo BEST padlocks show up Ebay.

Good luck ,
Jakob

goodguyzy

Has anyone or anyone considered gathering keys from members and making a huge key chain assortment or are there just to many different numbers the military used?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took a couple of the GI locks found in several trucks to local lock smith shop. pretty big place, three different locksmiths could not pick them open or make a key. I was willing to pay them well. Still have the locks, I'll dig them out and try again.

Kloakndagr

Took a couple of the GI locks found in several trucks to local lock smith shop. pretty big place, three different locksmiths could not pick them open or make a key. I was willing to pay them well. Still have the locks, I'll dig them out and try again.
Picking the locks are not difficult, I used to pick locks all the time when I was wearing a badge, now I do it to keep the skills and for fun. Send one my way and I'll take a stab at it.

Pawnshop

American 5200 locks ARE pickable but it isn't easy, the ones I have done were by accident I am sure. Lots of security pins. Mr Lock (or any other locksmith for that matter) can only make a key from the code, which is the size number of the pins in their order as found inside the tumbler, there are no "key codes" for the US 5200 locks. The three letters stamped on the lock body are the date of manufacture.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what the locks told me also, need to get the tumbler out for key could, it really frustrated them. I'll gather them up and try Art.

Pawnshop

Those locks are cheap enough to replace, typically about $5 each with keys in the surplus stores around here, so cutting the hasp and buying another lock is financially viable. I really prefer to get them open and re pin them to an existing key though, I like to re-use whenever possible.

Jeepsinker

I just torch them off. I have a pile of locks around here that I've cut. Ask member Silverstate55, I can torch a lock off a steering wheel and not leave a mark on the wheel.